Chapter Nineteen: Don't Bother Saving Me

Still sick, unfortunately..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Love is a Weakness-A Naruto Fan Fiction

Chapter Nineteen: Don’t Bother Saving Me

The sun beat down on us from above. I felt as if I were being cooked alive. It hadn’t rained in weeks, making the heat that much more unbearable. I don’t know where Naruto found all of his energy. It felt as if mine were being zapped from my body as we trudged forward. Naruto was bouncing all over the place, when I probably looked like the walking dead. Lovely.

“Woohoo!” Naruto yelled. He was excited--still--to get such a ‘big’ mission. I could’ve strangled him.

Kakashi and Tazuna were discussing some kind of business when I saw it. A puddle. I doubt any animal could’ve made such a thing. I stopped walking for a moment, staring.

“Hitomi.” Kakashi was giving me a warning glance. I nodded and started walking again. He had undoubtedly noticed it. Perhaps my teammates had, also? I couldn’t be to certain.

They acted otherwise. But maybe they were doing just that; acting.

I ran over to our team leader. “Kakashi?” My whisper was urgent. Again, he gave me the same look.

“Just keep walking. Ignore it.”

“But, why? I--”

“I said, keep walking.”

He had a weird look in his eye. And was obviously determined to shut me up. But, why? Shouldn’t we be readying ourselves for an attack? We should be told our stances; he should give us our orders so we can fight. I huffed and put my arms over my chest. This guy is so confusing! Second only to Sasuke.

Not even a second later a kunai flew by my head, hitting a tree. A ninja had emerged from the puddle; another flew out from the trees. Everyone had been caught off guard and let out different varies of shrieks. I had been ready.

The ninja immediately went for Kakashi, wrapping chains around him. They kept squeezing him, harder and harder. You could see the life fading from his eyes.

“Kakashi-sensei!” Sakura screamed. And for once, she had a good reason to. He was gone; there was nothing we could do. Their next target was Naruto. My guess was as good as any, to why, though. The state he was in, he was no threat. He stood frozen from shock and fear. I wouldn’t watch this time. No, I would save him. I kicked one in the chest, sending him flying in the other direction. By then the other one had already gotten to Naruto, and sliced his hand. I cursed under my breath. I knew there was no way I could get to him in time, but my body still tried.

Before any more damage could be done, Sasuke took the chains that were aimed at Naruto, and wrapped them around a tree. Rendering the ninja useless.

The one that I had kicked into the air was aiming his attack at Tazuna now. Sakura tried to protect Tazuna by standing before him, going on the defensive. Sasuke kicked the guy, making him hit a tree. This didn’t stop him, though. But it gave me enough time to push Sakura out of the way. I didn’t like her, but she was still my teammate, and I wouldn’t let her get hurt. I would be Tazuna’s shield. The ninja had sharp claws, no doubt filled with venom. This didn’t make me move an inch. I was ready to feel the sharp claws pierce through my skin. This was my job, after all. Protect the client at all cost.

Sasuke decided to play hero again, and put himself between me and the attacker. “What the hell are you doing? Move! I can’t let anyone else get hurt!” I hissed.

As much as I hated to admit it, he was too important to me. I would loose neither him nor Naruto. He was just going to have to get over it.

“You’re too noble.” His voice was too sarcastic for my liking. “I refuse to loose you either.”