Arriving on Your Doorstep

I watched as my replacement threw bags at me. Glad bags full of my things, including fragile items. I clenched my fist tightly before I notice a bag full of my ceramic tea pot and tea cups. I try and jolt for it but I hear the shatter before I can catch it and wince at the sound.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" I scream to the young woman, clearly strung out on some sort of drugs.

Josh leans in the door way, former boss, former boyfriend, former acquaintance, and just smirks at me.

"I suggest you never come back." He says before blowing cigarette smoke into my face.

I don't feel like crying, I feel cheated and lost, but not hurt. It was relieving that I was out of this business. Away from Josh and away from Josie, but you can call her Star.

The only drawback was what do I do from here? I've got plenty of clothes but mostly lingerie. I've got money, a lot of money, even from tonight, nearly 3,000 dollars. But that's maybe enough for a 2 months stay in an apartment for this neck of the woods. I check my phone and notice the time, 2:30 am. By now Trevor and I would both be off of work, winding down with a joint while he sells me a bag. I hadn't seen him in 5 years though and I'm not quite sure how he'd feel if I just showed up. I had stayed away from him because normally I picked it up for Josh, and Josh didn't like me spending all my time with Trevor.

I call him up but no answer, it could be possible he had to change his number. So, in a reluctant yet hasty pace, I get a cab to head to his place. It's better than wasting the money I have on a motel until I land a job. I also might need some more professional clothes using this money. It's job hunting season.

MIKES POV:

I woke up to banging on my door, rubbing my eyes while still in my pajama pants and a plain t-shirt, I go to the door and answer. With sopping wet hair and plump beautiful lips, I see a familiar and distant memory.

"Mike?" She asks, I suppose I haven't changed much.

"Candy?" I ask in return with a long yawn.

"Carmen. Please for the love of god, call me by my real name." She pleads, pushing passed me into the apartment.

"Yeah, that's cool." I say, shutting the door. She throws down the garbage bags she had in hand and I'm still so confused.

"Did you want anything to drink? Water? OJ?"

"Tea." She stares blankly ahead when she says this and she seems so lost.

"Okay." It's silent for a moment while I brew her up the only tea I had, earl grey, that hasn't been touched in months.

"I'm guessing you're looking for weed? Because Trevor doesn't live here anymore."

She takes the cup from my hand and sips calmly. Like she hadn't just burned the crap out of her mouth.

"Josh dumped me and hired a new replacement. Go figure she was already in the house by the time my shift was over. All my stuff was packed into garbage bags and thrown around. All my ceramics busted, all my sculptures, BUSTED." She's angry but not sad, and after a breakup I'm scarcely surprised.

"They didn't have the decency to put it all in boxes, no, they put it in garbage bags!" She puts down her teacup with so much grace and pinches the bridge of her nose.

"I need a place to stay." She whispers.

I think about it for a moment. My life was already busy enough and here's someone I knew would know that I didn't go to Harvard. I blame my big heart on the majority of decisions I've made in my life and without another second to spare I tell her yes.

She steps up and gives me a tight hug. Considering she was in a short silk robe and lingerie, I felt uncomfortable. Normally I wouldn't have, but my mind boggled when it came to Rachel. That was the woman for me.

"Thank you." She whimpers, tears falling.

"Still not sad, these are tears of joy." She says with a giggle. She makes a weird face and walks to her garbage bags and pulls out what I assume is her nicest outfit.

"What's that for?" I ask.

She wipes her eyes and turns around to me, holding up a pair of skinny black pants, a very low cut white blouse and a black blazer.

"It's the only outfit I own that I would feel comfortable wearing to interviews. I'm going to go job hunting tomorrow." She says, clapping her hands.

I had never seen her like this before. She was incredibly happy. It was almost scary how happy she was and how quickly her personality changed. She was quirky and funny with still some damaged self esteem. I immediately think of Harvey. How different they are. Why? Why would I think if Harvey?

"No." I speak loudly to my own thoughts.

"What?" She asks taken a back, assuming I didn't like her outfit.

"No, not you, I just thought of my boss. He never leaves my brain. It's almost like he's embedded."

"Oh. Since when did you get a job?" The question I was hoping never to answer but I knew it would happen now or in a few days.

"You sold for Trevor before, am I right?" I ask her.

She raises a brow.

"About 350,000 worth. In my lifetime." She states.

"And I know this, Trevor knows this, Josh knows this?"

"Yeah, but where are you going with this Mike?" She asks, standing up from the floor.

"I'll use it against you. Blackmail if you will." I wasn't hesitating or pussy footing around the dirty game. Not in my situation.

"Why?" She pouts.

"Because what I'm about to tell you is very illegal."