Arrested

"She really said that to you?" Rachel asked as she helped me unpack my things, Ray helping me as well.

I felt sort of like crying. I was so close to Donna. Why wouldn't she be honest about her feelings before I even arrived? Her and Harvey have been working side by side for however many years... I just couldn't wrap my head around it.

"Yeah, she did..." I sigh, looking around the guest bedroom.

"Again, thanks for letting me stay." I smile warmly at Rachel and she nods politely.

"Did you need anything? Tea? Water? Wine maybe?" Rachel chuckles and I couldn't help it, tea sounded so nice.

"Chamomile or Jasmine?"

"Jasmine." I grin from ear to ear at her hospitality.

Rachel scurries away into the kitchen and Ray grips onto my shoulder.

"I'll be picking you up at 8 am sharp."

Ray began to pull off his shades, his eyes were a bright, silvery blue. It was like I was seeing a whole new person.

"So that's the mysterious man behind the mask... Thanks, Ray."

"Anytime. Consider us friends." And with that, he left, his sunglasses set back into place on the bridge of his nose.

I suddenly heard a crash come from the kitchen and I hear Rachel scream,

"Fuck!"

Then it's a dangle of some keys, a metal pole falling and a slamming door. What the hell just happened?!

"Rachel?" I come out into the kitchen, her cel phone sitting on the center island.

I pick up the electronic and notice that Harvey had just called. In an instant, I call him back.

"Rachel? You should be on your way by no-"

"Harvey, it's Carmen. What the hell is going on and why didn't Rachel finish steeping my tea?"

"Carmen, thank god. We've been ratted out. Get somewhere safe. I'm not sure exactly what the situation is but... Mikes just been arrested. Get out of Rachel's apartment, don't come to mine, go somewhere that no one would ever think you'd be. Please." Harvey hangs up the phone and I feel my stomach drop.

Was I going to be arrested? Was Mike being arrested for pretending to be a lawyer? Or was it something else?

I was terrified for Mike, and I wished I could call him, but that wouldn't do either of us any good.

Where could I go that no one would assume I'd be? Sure, I could stay with Louis, but calling anyone right now could jeopardize the firm. Jessica and I are close enough for them to look for me at her place, out of the question.

Who absolutely hated me?

----------------------------------------------------

One knock.

Two knock.

Three... And the door flies open to reveal my beautiful, ginger foe.

"You've got 5 seconds." Donna grunts.

I can smell the food inside and I just realized how starving I was.

"Mike got arrested and they might come for me too. Harvey doesn't know details yet but he told me to get somewhere no one would expect me to be."

Donna stared at me for a moment, watching me shiver in the fall air. She was really actually debating on shutting the door in my face. I knew her heart was too big though, and anything to protect Harvey she'd do.

"Fine." Her lips purse.

I walk inside quickly and take off my jacket, hanging it in a familiar place. Nothing in her home had changed since I left, she even still had some of my decorative candles lying about.

"I just finished my vegan stir fry." Her voice sounded much more cheerful than I had heard it lately and I immediately felt comfortable with her tone.

"So? Why are you just standing there? Come sit." She rolls her eyes and sets down a plate of food for me as well as for herself.

"Thank you." I choke up, pulling out the dining room chair and taking a seat.

Dinner was silent, I couldn't hear anything but the crunch of our vegetables. I played around with my rice for a while before I could even stomach anything. There was so much in my mind. Mike, Donna, Harvey. I was so worried about Harvey.

"Don't worry. They're smart. They'll figure it all out. If not, we'll help them. I'm sure Louis and Jessica are on board to help too." Donna mentions, not looking away from her plate.

Her ability to read my mind was almost as strong as Harveys.

She seemed so calm and collected right now, everything she hasn't been toward me lately, and it was peaking my curiosity. It was time to put water under the bridge.

"Why have you been.. So sour to me lately? I know you love Harvey, but I just, you always seemed to be on my side of his and my relationship. It was a complete 180 for you. I wish you just would've been honest with me because in my eyes, our friendship was much stronger than what you made it out to be."

I watch as Donna sucks on her tongue, taking my words in and letting them boil within her.

She raises her brows and gives a dainty chuckle.

"I don't love Harvey, Carmen."

"Well, you've slept with him, which I looked passed. You do everything and anything for him. It really seems like you love him. I don't mind that, I just want us to work passed-"

"It's not about Harvey, Carmen!" Donna finally looks up at me, her anger protruding from her mouth.

I tried to remain calm but her statement just made me more confused, more upset.

"I didn't go to work for Louis because of Harvey. I didn't want to stop talking to you because of Harvey. I didn't let you in here because of Harvey. I did those things for you."

I clench my jaw as she speaks, still slightly confused. I understood we were friends and you do things for your friends, so why the hostility?

"Why have you been so rude? Ignoring me, yelling at me, being mean to Harvey?"

The corner of Donnas lips curled and she picked up her plate, bringing it to the sink.

"I have feelings for you. But, Harvey's my best friend and since I can't control my feelings, I'm avoiding you. Because I like you more than a friend. I've never felt this way about a woman, ever."

This might not be so easy to work passed.