2 Weeks of Pajamas

Harvey hasn't called me into work in four days, he's hardly been home, communication had disappeared and not even Donna would respond to my texts.

I sat on my bed in one of my large sweaters and knee high knitted socks, staring at my phone and waiting for even the slightest order from Harvey. But, I got none. Yet again. This is the fifth day and I was determined to figure out what was going on. After all, the charity event is tomorrow.

"Donna. I'm coming in." I say over the receiver, leaving a voicemail.

"Don't!" She quickly responds, picking up the phone.

I grin.

"Then someone tell me what the hell is going on?"

"Scotties back... And bigger than ever."

"What does that mean."

"Her and Harvey dated so long in law school, now she's back trying to rekindle things and it's working. There's a merger. A merger.... A MERGER CARMEN! They'll be stuck together forever."

"Well, what do we do?" I ask, biting the tip of my finger.

I was inches away from losing Harvey again and I always knew it was a battle I couldn't win, not against someone from his past.

"We drop it. Don't talk about it and let it take its course. I'm sorry Carmen. But when it comes to Scottie there's not much anyone can do." Donna hangs up and that's the last I hear from anyone again, for the next week and a half...

-------------------------------------------------

Finally, for the first time in weeks, I hear the door open at a reasonably decent time.

"Harvey!" I shout, racing out like a lost puppy.

He holds his hand out to my chest and tries to not look at me.

"I need you out. Donna said she'd be glad to have you move in with her."

"What?" I feel my heart fall into my stomach, my face growing hot from anger. I couldn't believe my ears.

"Harvey, you can't-" He steps forward, looking at me with discretion, his eyes almost mournful.

"It's either that or I cut the contract. I have no choice, Carmen. Scottie doesn't want you here." This is the first time I had ever heard of Scottie from his mouth and the confirmation coils in me.

"Harvey. Why didn't you tell me yourself?"

"I just did."

"No, Donna told me. And if you thought this was the first time of me hearing it, it's a shitty way to go about it." I remove myself from in front of him and go to my room to pack my things.

"Carmen..." Harvey says, but I ignore him.

I had a lot more clothes now than when I moved in, and yet I still had boxes stacked in case Harvey ever wanted me out. Deep down its almost like I knew this would happen at some point.

"Carmen, please.." Harvey begins again but I continue to ignore him, putting my things outside in the hall, where I see Donna waiting for me. The look on her face was heart breaking, like she didn't like the decision he was making.

"Hold on." I whisper to her, shutting the door as I walk back in to grab a few more boxes.

I knew better, I knew she had her ear pressed against the door, but for some reason I'd like to pretend she didn't.

"Carmen!" Harvey shouts, pulling me back to him by my upper arm.

"Don't touch me, Harvey." I say calmly.

"You can't be hurt."

"Not for the reason you think." I grunt.

"Carmen, I don't want to-"

"Harvey, it's not that I'm hurt because you continue to sleep with me then blow me off," I interrupt, "I know that sounds terrible coming out that way but that's what it is. And I've known that always. I've known that we were casual and just sometime friends with benefits. The sometimes refers to the friends aspect of that whole relationship. Because sometimes we're close and other times we're not. I'm hurt because you're making me leave my home. This has become my home, I've been here for months, I've finally settled. I'm also hurt that you didn't have the guts to just tell me initially, it would've made this a lot easier."

"First of all, if you'd JUST LET ME FINISH MY SENTENCE, I didn't want to kick you out, I still don't want to, but I told Scottie everything that happened between us and she's not comfortable if you stayed. You've got to understand that from her perspective. Secondly, I was afraid to tell you, you're my best friend, and you stood up to her for me. It's not easy telling you've I've taken her back."

"I wish to not speak, anymore, Mr. Specter. Unless it is professional. I will be at work tomorrow, 7 am sharp." I nod gently toward him and I can feel his anger rising.

He wished there was more he could say, but without causing any damage to his current relationship, he couldn't say much.

Donna helped me bring down my things, and so did Ray.

"I'll miss you, Ms. Grace." Ray says with a firm handshake as Donna gets into the drivers seat of her car.

"It's alright, Ray, you'll be gaining another friend out of this." I laugh.

"I don't really like Ms. Scott."

"Well, we're all going to have to learn to."

"Alright. Let's get going, I'll follow you to Donnas place with your things." He says, getting into his car as well.

I get into Donnas passenger side, looking up at the condo.

"You okay?" She asks with a humble tone of voice.

"Not really. I feel like I belong up there." My chin quivers slightly and I look away, a single tear falling down my cheek.

"I'll get used to it Donna." I smile.

"Well, I won't. I've got a new roommate." She chuckles, driving off as Ray quickly follows behind.

-------------------------------------------------

We walk into Donnas place, Ray dropping the last of my boxes at the door.

"Ladies need help carrying these inside?"

"I think we'll be alright." I say, leaving him with my number.

"We'll stay in touch?"

"Wouldn't dream of anything more, Ms. Grace."

And just like that, I felt like it was the last time I'd ever see Ray.

As soon as everything is unpacked into Donnas room, which we'd be sharing, we changed into our pajamas, turned on some chick flicks and grabbed a decent red wine.

"Why are we handling this like a break up?" I ask her with a giggle.

"Because, I just felt like I watched Pacey and Dawson split all over again."

"It's okay Donna." I laugh.

"Anyways, what are you going to do tomorrow? How do you think work will be? Scotties there... What will-"

I put my fingers to Donnas lips.

"Right now, all I want to do is watch Mean Girls, drink some wine, down some of that cheese and pretend like it's just you and me for now, the power team."

"Deal." Donna replies with a grin.

And just like that, I was able to have fun, push Harvey to the back of my mind and act like nothing had changed. Donnas place was spacious, open and cute, and artist type loft with a paned window overlooking the city in her living room. It definitely wasn't as sterile and cold feeling as Harvey's place... I think it was a fresh change.