Words of Encouragement

Ebony's stomach growled as her aunt placed the plates of food on the table. Tonight's dinner was fried chicken, corn bread, macaroni and cheese, and collard greens. It was as if Thanksgiving came soon, because these were all Ebony's favorite dishes. Ebony licked her lips in anticipation.

Her entire family was gathered around the table, waiting to fest into the dinner. Ebony's grandmother saw the anxiousness in her eyes and frowned.

"Ebony, baby, calm down. The food will be here in just a minute." She scolded. Tameka looked up and pouted.

"Ma, she hasn't ate alll day and you know this is her favorite. Lay off of her."

"Mhhhmmm. Well, I just don't want her to drool on my tablecloth." Ebony's grandmother snapped back. Tameka rolled her eyes and walked away. Her mother always had that mean and snappy attitude, but since she has became ill, it's in her destiny to take care of her fragile mother.

If it weren't for her mother's sickness, she would have kicked her to the curb a long time ago. Times like this, jobless and living under her mother's roof, is where she missed her ex-husband. It seemed like they had it all and at a flash, it was all gone. Her entire dreams completely shattered.

Parish put the hot plate of cripsy golden fried chicken at the center of the table. Ebony's grandmother frowned.

"Parish, what the hell? This chicken ain't cooked. This bird still flying." She complained. The way Ebony's grandmother was raised, when you fried chicken, it needed to be a dark brown color. Almost burnt, to be more accurate.

"Momma, what you talking about? This chicken is cooked to perfection. Nobody likes your burnt chicken." Parish shot back. Ebony's grandmother wasn't even surprised at Parish's quick response. Parish has always had a smart mouth.

"No, Parish, this chicken ain't right. Ain't no cooked chicken supposed look like this. I bet if you tear the chicken open, it will bleed."

"Stop complaining, because you still gon' eat it anyway." Parish said. Ebony's grandmother frowned and looked over Apryl. Apryl was too busy texting on her iPhone to pay attention to what was going on.

"Ay girl! You not gon' help yo' momma in the kitchen?" She yelled. Apryl gave her a confused look and flipped her silky weave over her shoulder.

"No. She got it. She told me to go sit down." Apryl shrugged.

"Parish! Why you ain't let this child help you in the kitchen?"

"Ma, you know I don't like when people are in the kitchen when I'm trying to work my magic. We've been over this a thousand times." Apryl replied calmly, placing the bowl of collard greens on the table, next to the fried chicken. Ebony inhaled the food and closed her eyes. She felt like she was in heaven.

Soon, Parish came back into the dining room with the pan of baked macaroni. As soon as the pan sat on the table, everyone scrambled, trying to fix themselves a plate.

"Just in case anyone is curious, the corn bread is sitting on the stove. Y'all can get a piece, I guess, when you guys finish your food." Parish announced.

"Girl, hush and eat." Ebony's grandmother shooed. Parish rolled her eyes and dug into her plate. Ebony took a bite of everything on her plate. She fluttered her eyes closed and savored each bite. Only one word can describe this entreé: scrumptious.

"Ebony, girl, what are you doing? Making love to the food?" Apryl joked. Ebony laughed, looking at her cousin sitting across from her.

"I wish I could. You know your mother can throw down in the kitchen." Ebony looked over at her aunt and gave her a huge smile. Parish returned the favor. Ebony's grandmother looked down at the food and frowned.