Everything Goes South

Ebony hadn't been feeling well since the other day at school. She didn't know how to feel about her friendship with Dylan. She liked him but doubted his true feelings. Gloria was being spiteful. She could snatch Dylan in a heartbeat if she wanted to. Apryl's baby daddy drama didn't give her a good view on guys. Ebony was truly confused. 

Even though Edna died about two months ago, everything still feels the way it did around that time. Tameka and Parish still had animosity towards each other. Parish didn't even cook for the family anymore since their last argument. The house is always quiet. Everyone stays in their room and don't really say anything to one another. Apryl usually hung out with her friends. Ebony barely sees her. 

Apryl still wasn't showing. She was gaining some weight but it wasn't obvious that she was pregnant. Neither Tameka nor Parish knew at this point. Ebony stopped caring. She knew eventually the truth will come out. 

This particular morning, Tameka decided to cook breakfast for everyone. Tameka hadn't cooked an actual full course meal since her husband died. She just wanted to make peace in the house. It made no sense how everyone was family yet treating each other like strangers. She knew her mother would be greatly disappointed. 

Ebony couldn't sleep at night, so she got up around seven fifteen. She came downstairs to see Tameka in the kitchen placing her cooking utensils on the kitchen island. Tameka smiled when she saw her baby girl. 

"Good morning, baby." Tameka greeted. 

"Good morning, Mom." Ebony replied. "What you doing?"

"Just trying to prepare breakfast for everybody. It just feels so lifeless in here, so I figured why not do something nice."

Ebony nodded. "Can I help?"

"Sure. We're having pancakes, bacon, eggs, sausage links and hash browns. I know that doesn't sound too healthy, but I'll just add some fruits in the pancake batter. Just to make it look like I give a damn." Tameka added, laughing. 

Ebony couldn't remember the last time she and her mother cooked. It had been so long. Whenever it was, it felt like a lifetime. She liked this bonding moment with her mother. 

Halfway into the cooking session, footsteps trailed down the stairs. Parish came downstairs, her hair frantically standing on her head. Ebony couldn't tell if she got into a fight or if she just had a good night's sleep. 

"What y'all doing?" Parish asked. It was quite obvious what they were doing, but instead of being rude, Tameka simply replied. 

"Making breakfast." Parish raised an eyebrow. She knew her older sister didn't cook. She did a long time ago, but why now? What was going on?

"For what though?" Parish questioned. 

"Just for everybody to enjoy. You would enjoy having some breakfast, wouldn't you?" Tameka replied, pouring a scoop of pancake batter onto the skillet. 

Parish looked around. She was nervous about how the food would taste. She didn't like anybody cooking but her. She didn't comment though. She just sat on the couch and watched 'The Price Is Right'. 

Soon, the food was finished. Everything looked and smelled absolutely delicious. Tameka knew her food had to be delicious. She even thought she would give Parish a run for her money with this meal. Apryl came downstairs. 'About time somebody cooked, I'm hungry.'  Apryl commented to herself. 

Everyone filled their plates with food and sat at the dinner table. Tameka was right, the food was amazing. It was on point, no room for critiques. Parish devoured her food, smacking on her meal. That was Tameka's number one pet peeve: do not smack with food in your mouth. 

"Parish, could you not smack please?" Tameka asked politely. It stopped for a moment then continued again. Tameka glared at her and sighed. 

"Can you please stop?" She asked again. Parish looked at her and kept smacking. 'Okay, so this bitch wanna be rude? Alright, I'll give her that.' Tameka said mentally. 

"Damn, were you raised in a barn? Keep your mouth closed when you chew! It's not that hard!" Tameka shouted. Parish rolled her eyes. 

"You should be lucky somebody eating your damn food." Parish mumbled. 

"What was that? Sorry, I didn't hear you." 

"You swear think you all that. You ain't shit. Always thinking you larger than life, girl bye."

"Obviously you do, therefore you wouldn't have mentioned it. Besides, what does me being 'that bitch' has anything to do with your trifling ass chewing like a cow? See, you reaching yet again." Tameka spat. 

"I'm a grown ass woman. I can do as I please. What you mad for?" Parish replied. 

"I ain't mad. Why you getting defensive?" 

"Oh lord, not again." Apryl said under her breath. The back and forth was ridiculous. 

"I'm not. You just always being bossy. I'm pretty sure my chewing wasn't that big of a deal. You just being a drama queen as usual." Parish clapped back. 

"I'm not even finna go there with you. Like I said-" Tameka started to say. 

"Said what? What you say? What's the issue?"

"Girrlll, don't you go there with me. I'm telling you don't want it. I will drag your ass across this table. I'm not in the mood for the foolishness." Tameka threatened. 

"Drag me then. Do it. Mama ain't gon save you. Let's go. You ain't saying nothing but a word." Parish taunted, standing up. 

"Whatchu standing up for? What you finna do?" Tameka said calmly, rising out of her seat. This whole fight was stupid and childish. One little simple issue turns into world war 3.

"Woah,everybody sit down and eat. No need to be fighting." Apryl said, standing between the two. 

"Whatchu finna do? You wanna act big boss and pop off? Alright, let's set it off in this bitch." Tameka said. 

"Bet. Let's go. I'm sick of your shit." Parish replied, kicking her house slippers off. 

"ENOUGH! EVERYBODY SIT DOWN!" Apryl yelled. Everyone got silent. Tameka and Parish stared at each other. 

"This is not what family is all about. Family is about love, safety, protection,loyalty. What is this? Two grown ass women fighting. For what? Nothing. It's about time this stops. We need to live within peace. We hadn't even interacted as a family since granny died, and look, the bullshit starts again. I've had enough of this. If this is how we're going to continue living, I'm out." Apryl preached. She got away from the table and walked off. 

Before she walked off, she turned around for one final thing to say. 

"Oh yeah and by the way, I'm pregnant." 

Everyone exchanged glances as Apryl stomped up the stairs and slammed her room door. 

This chapter sucks but whatever. At least I updated. Wattys 2016 is here. This book will be entering so keep in touch for voting and check out The Wattys page for more information.