Death Came Knocking

Ebony watched depressingly as the two officers wheeled Edna's body out of the house. The black cover shielded Ebony from seeing the woman who meant the world to her. The woman who truly taught her that her dark skin was beautiful. The woman who preached her to her to always fight back and never let anyone degrade her. Tears streamed down her face as her heart pumped a mile a minute.

Apryl fell to the ground, while Tameka stood next to her crying hysterically. It broke her heart to know her mother was no longer here with her. She could never hear her voice again. She could never feel her tight hugs. She would never receive her kisses and be told she was loved unconditionally. The whole world felt like it had completely ceased, then lit on fire.

An officer walked over to Apryl and helped her up. Apryl continued to scream, but eventually stopped, holding her head and her stomach.

"Lord, why you had to take my granny? Why, Lord? What did I do to deserve this?"Apryl pleaded. Ebony continued to cry. A Caucasian, short haired officer walked over to the weary trio.

"My sincerest condolences to you all. I know this is a deeply emotional moment for you guys. However, I would like to comment that she passed suddenly, but peacefully. Once again, I express my dearest apologies and condolences to the Brooks family." She sympathized. Tameka nodded.

"Thank you so much." She thanked. The officer walked over to the ambulance truck, where Edna's body was being put into. Apryl continued to bawl.

"I can't believe that she's gone. One day, she's here living life and full of energy. Then, out of nowhere, she's gone. I can not and refuse to believe it." Apryl denied.

"I know. I'm miss my momma. She was my everything. But at least I know she's at peace and in heaven, in God's hands. At least she's reunited with her mother." Tameka sniffed. Apryl walked over to Ebony and hugged her tightly. Apryl cried into Ebony's shirt, staining it with her weary tears. Ebony held her, embracing her distraught cousin.

Then, a car screeched, causing everyone to divert their attention to the road. Parish rushed out of the car, her clothes appearing filthy. It seemed as if she really was a crackhead. Ebony had seen her auntie like this before, so she knew Parish had relapsed.

It wasn't the sight of Parish that angered Tameka; it was the company she brought with her. Her crackhead boyfriend, Greg.

"Oh hell no! Get the fuck off of my property! Take ya crackhead boyfriend with you!" Tameka shouted.

"What happened to Momma?! Where is she? What happened? Please! Tell me!" Parish pleaded.

"Parish, please leave. The issue is being resolved. I have already requested you to leave, so you and your little flea can go." Tameka scolded. "And why do you look like that? You been on that shit again?"

"Tameka! What happened to Momma?! Tell me! What happened!" Parish yelled, her eyes beginning to water. Tameka looked her in her eyes and broke the news to her.

"Momma's gone. She died." Parish whimpered in disbelief and fell to the ground.

"Noooo! Momma! What happened to her?! Lord, why did you take my momma away from me?!" Parish asked, hollering as she cried. Greg ran over to his distraught girlfriend and picked her up off of the pavement.

"I think its best if you two leave. I'll take care of this matter. Momma would want me to handle this." Tameka stated. Parish glared at her.

"Why the fuck do you always do this?! Everything is not always about you! What about me?! You always gotta take over shit like it's yours." Parish spat.

"Because it is! Momma wouldn't want you to plan no damn funeral anyway. It's clear you back on crack. Take your little pipe buddy with you and haul ass before I beat yo shit in." Tameka threatened.

"Bitch, shut up! Stupid hoe." Parish insulted.

"At least I ain't the one smoking crack. Go get help, Parish. Do you not see how terrible you look?" Tameka replied sarcastically. Ebony found it very disrespectful for them to fight during this time, especially her mother making fun of Parish's addiction. Ebony figured the least she could do was help her younger sister. Parish was all Tameka had at this point.
"Argh! I can't take this shit anymore! I'm so done with all this arguing! I'm out!" Apryl confessed, boiling over with frustration. She stomped away from the brawl and ran into the house. Tameka and Parish glanced at each other.

"You better go handle your daughter and that stink ass attitude before I ring her fucking neck. I don't play games and ALL y'all know this." Tameka spat before she walked away and strutted to her car. She quickly started the engine and drove away. Parish sighed before she walked off the driveway and got back into Greg's raggedy Toyota.

The ambulance packed everything up and turned their sirens on, indicating they were leaving the residence. The truck drove away from the house, taking Ebony's grandmother. The police officers finished their investigation and got in their police cars. Ebony sighed. This is the first time since living here she felt truly alone.

She slowly headed back into the house. Ebony figured she needed to find Apryl and figure out what was wrong with her. Ebony walked up the steps and paused. She heard a faint sound of crying and sniffling. She followed the sound to Apryl's bedroom. Ebony slowly walked in, but Apryl was nowhere in sight.

A dim light shone in Apryl's bathroom. Tiptoeing across the carpet, Ebony quietly peeked her head in. Apryl sat on the toilet with her hands covering her eyes. Ebony continued to examine, until her eyes planted on something unusual.

A pregnancy test.

Oooo. Scandal! Say what? Did this chapter get you in your feelings? Nah? Okay.

Soo, I told y'all to think about what Apryl said. Did that catch you off guard? ☕☕☕☕ but...it didn't say she WAS pregnant. She just took a test. Maybe she's still crying because she's still shooken up by Edna's death.

Who knows. *evil laugh*

If you think shit is crazy NOW, you are in for a rude awakening. A REAL RUDE ONE. But this book still is about Eb and her chocolate skin. Of course. I know what I'm doing. Just chill and read. *rubs hands like Birdman*