Brand New Discoveries

The animosity between Tameka and Parish grew as the days went by. Edna was still upset about the two breaking her mother's vase. Apryl wasn't around as often because she spent more time with her boyfriend.

However, Ebony was sort of in a good mood. She had a great day at school and received compliments from the other kids all throughout the day. It was the first day she hadn't been bullied, and it made her feel good. Finally, she didn't feel alienated by her peers.

Throughout the day, Ebony listened to music on her iPod and read inspiring quotes on the internet. She had read them once, but this time, it actually meant something to her. It felt good to be surrounded by positive energy.

Tameka was doing the laundry and cleaning the house. As she carried Ebony's folded clothes up to her room, she spotted her mother sitting on the porch. Tameka automatically knew something was wrong.

She sat the basket on the bottom stairs and went outside. Edna sat in a rocking chair, humming to herself.

"Hey, momma." Tameka greeted. Edna looked up at her with sad, puppy eyes and looked back down. It broke Tameka's heart seeing her so distraught.

"What's the matter, Momma? What happened to you? Are you okay?" She asked, sitting in the rocking chair next to her. Edna sighed before responding.

"The other day, when you and Parish was fighting, the vase my mother gave me broke." Edna explained. Tameka instantly felt guilty.

"Momma, I am so sorry. I didn't mean to break it. I apologize fully for my actions. I feel so bad. Please forgive me." Tameka begged.

"Aw, hush. It's okay. It just brought back memories that made me wish I still had my mother. Sometimes I wish she had met you guys before she passed away; saw me maturing into the young woman she molded her into." Edna replied.

Edna's mother, Rosa, died when Edna was just 17. It tore her heart to pieces. Her and her mother were extremely close. Her mother made plans to be there along every big milestone in Edna's life:prom, college, marriage, and children. It was only unfortunate God called for his angel too soon.

Rosa was killed by her jealous ex-boyfriend. He was upset she had moved on, and killed her. That tragic event hurt Edna in the worst way ever. Since the incident, Edna wasn't the same. She used to be jolly, nice, full of joy, vibrant and very humble.

After her mom died, it took her happiness, sunshine, spirit, and soul. The only other joys that came to her life was Tameka and Parish. Eventually, they grew up, lived their own lives, had their own children, and Edna was lonely again.

"Mom. I'm so sorry. I bet she'd be so proud of you. Regardless of any decision you would have made, she would always love you. She still does." Tameka comforted her. Edna nodded.

"I know, baby. Sometimes, when I see you, it reminds me of her. You both are built the same, talk the same, walk the same, and have that same fiesty attitude. I always thought you were a special delivery from my mom because.....everytime I saw you, I saw her. Even your looks are the same. I always wondered why I had that special love for you." Tameka smiled at her mother's kind words.

"So, what about Parish?" Tameka asked. Edna huffed, her whole attitude changing.

"That witch. She is just like her daddy. Both of them mean as a whistle, have that smart ass mouth, and that mean ass face. That's probably why we didn't get along because she was too much like her no-good ass daddy. Sorry bastard."

Just then, as if on cue, the front door flew open. Parish stood at the door,and she appeared to look shooken up.

"What dummy put the laundry basket on the bottom of the stairs?!" Parish screamed.