Chapter 39

Evelyn's POV

The walk back to the pack house was filled with awkward silence. As we stepped in through the door step, we were welcomed with looks of relief; however, soon they were replaced into looks of either fear or astonishment. Yes, that change is the affect Conrad had on this pack in his presence.

I look up to meet my gaze with Shane's, but instead of joyful eyes I was met with the cold eyes. These eyes showed no emotions... no feelings... those blue eyes now showed no hint of any speck of light. I felt my wolf whimper with ache in the back of my mind bearing this sight of our mate.

"S-Shane...I..I-" I tried to place my palm on his shoulder attempting to calm his wolf. Wrong move. Before I could even lay my hand, he scooted away. I hung my head down trying to hold back my tears.

'We were the cause of this...I was...' my wolf whimpered, curling into a ball.

This isn't any mystery man. This is the one that wants to take you away from me! He is no other than my so called brother, Conrad. He is the one that wants to take you away from me! Take you away from me... away from me...the one who...from me...

His words continued to replay in my mind making me feel slightly lightheaded. Although he is so strong, as I recall him saying those words... he was at his most vulnerable state. For a female wolf, the worst sight to handle is watching her mate vulnerable; especially, if she was the cause of it.

"Brother, how can you not tell me? How did you allow me to take this out on you?" Conrad started, but was soon stopped by Shane's glare daring him to utter another word.

"Not. Now. Conrad." He stated between gritting his teeth.

Right at this, I remembered all those times when I was abused...treated like dirt. As a soft whimper escaped my mouth, Ashley was by my side trying to comfort me.

"Eve... shhh don't let those memories haunt you back..." she whispered in my ear, pulling me in for a tight comforting hug, but it didn't stop those traitor tears to escape.

More than two thirds of the pack was gathered in this room right now taking in everything that was happening in silence.

As Shane's eyes pierced through mine, I noticed it soften at immediate; however, it was quickly replaced with cold eyes again as he gestured for me to go in the middle where he stood in all his mighty. My knees felt weak as I approached him under his cold gaze.

Once I stood in front of him, he took a hold of my hand oh so gently making me look deep into his eyes with all the love I felt towards him.

"Before I do this, all I want you to know is I disgust myself more than you will after this." I stared at him in confusion as he continued, "Today, you have went against my orders...mate or not, going against an alpha's order is sign of war and disrespect. Looking at you, it is disrespect. I know, I have promised you to never lay a hand on you and you need to understand that I would never break that promise. However, if my mate is the one that disrespects me then who else will respect me here?" He moved his arm around for me to look at all the pack members that were present in the room looking at me with pity.

"This will be a lesson from now on to everyone here that what happens when you go against my orders. Today, I-"

"NO!" at instant he was pushed away from me by no other than Bran.

"Stay out of this, Beta" he said with loath, but it didn't stop Bran from punching him right on his jaw.

"Are you challenging me?" Shane questioned, livid. Conrad on the back closely observing Shane's every move in case he pounces on Bran. I could feel how badly Bran wants to back down in submission, but he won't allow his wolf to do so... for me.

"NO! I am NOT challenging you. Alpha, I am not challenging you, but I will not allow you to do this to her. She just needed to let her wolf out and in that your brother came into this is not her fault! You will never forgive yourself, Shane. Tomorrow when you wake up and realize this it will be too late to regret over it even. I will not allow it. You will not put her in a cell or reject her..."

I gasped at his words just realizing now what he was going to do. I know what I did wasn't right. One should always have a control over their wolf, but this is not fair to me or to our relationship. I noticed his shoulders slump and eyes turned soft with sadness as if just realizing what was about to happen. If he wanted me to have control over my wolf then what the hell was what he was doing? He allowed his alpha to take control of his instincts and take such action by humiliating me in front of everyone. His brother and people from Xander's pack even.

I couldn't bear to look into the eyes of the pack members regardless of being their Luna, which was cause of receiving all their pity looks. As Shane tried to take a step towards me, I yanked my arm out of his hold running straight to my room and slamming the door. I just set down beside the door breaking down. I couldn't stop myself from crying hard. I didn't want to be weak, but knowing what could have just happened if Bran wasn't there sent chills down my spine.

Not a minute after, I heard knocking on the door as his memorising scent filled me...calming my wolf a little. 

"Evelyn! Open the door!" He screamed, but I was too afraid that if I showed up in front of him he would reject me.

"I wouldn't baby...I am sorry! Just please open the door let me in!"  How can I forget he could hear my thoughts now?

"Go away..." I mumbled between sobs.

"No...just please... open the door..." he begged. I felt him sit on the other side of the door. Yes, it broke my heart, but I can't just give in – not yet.