Chapter 42

*Evelyn's POV*

"So... how was she? Actually, you don't have to really it's just... I'm curious and I think Bran would too appreciate it" I questioned, turning to my right so I could notice his facial expressions. I felt guilty right away, but Cole seemed calm and was staring at distant as light smile crept its way on his face.

"She...well, Emily...to be honest, I never got a chance to really know her as a mate. However, when I first saw her I was drunk as you know..." for a quick second, hurt flashed thru his eyes, but was soon replaced with calmness again as he continued, "her eyes...god the sparkle in her green eyes was so bright – full off happiness. It wasn't a shade of green you see normally, so rare...beautiful. She was beautiful. Those five minutes were the happiest minutes for me when I realized she was my mate. She was a strong girl who fought until the end and she'll always hold a special place in my heart believe it or not and you Evelyn... well, you're replica of her you know? You have qualities of your sister."

~*~

When I thought back to Cole's words I realized how mates are supposed to be. It doesn't matter how much time they spend together it's about the love and care. Believe it or not, I sensed the emptiness he felt. He is trying to be the best brother he can for Paisley so he can overcome the feeling of emptiness. Indeed, he is a great brother and would've been great to my sister.

'She was a strong girl who fought until the end and she'll always hold a special place in my heart believe it or not and you Evelyn... well, you're replica of her you know? You have qualities of your sister.'

Once again, his words revolved in my mind. Did he mean what I thought he did? No, it can't be. I should stop over thinking this and giving it anymore dim-witted thoughts. All he probably meant was I am like her, but not her. I don't know why I was feeling like this.

"Evelyn, you okay?" Great, I just said it out loud.

"Y-yeahh. What do you want? I mean is there anything you need, Alpha?" I looked straight into his eyes gaining my posture again and for obvious reasons, my wolf was getting restless.

Hurt flashed through his mesmerizing eyes. Ugh cut it will you, Evelyn? I mentally slapped myself.

"Can we talk? I-"

"So you're free now?"

"Evelyn, please...look, I can feel your emotions alright? I am trying so hard to block mine. Believe me I feel yours ten times stronger and it's not pleasant. I am sorry for that day! I really am. Plus, earlier today I would just let you know that... promise me you won't get mad at me?" He pleaded. However, I was terrified please don't tell me he slept with Melissa please please... I kept repeating in my mind causing him to chuckle. My eyes went wide as I turned red with embarrassment.

"Yes, you forgot to block your thoughts again and no, I didn't sleep with anyone. I wouldn't do that to you."

"Well, that's a first" I chuckled, sarcastically of course.

Grabbing my hand gently he placed a light kiss on my knuckles, "Please... I just asked her to act the entire week so you would talk to me. Can I please have you back? I will make it up to you. This week, without you has been so restless. My wolf is on edge and he won't talk to me!"

"But what about ice cream Shanyyy?" I pouted, mocking the devil herself.

I could tell he was losing his patience, but I'm in mood to piss him off and test his waters.

"We didn't go! I know she took it too far, but what we expected was for you to stand up for your right and not just walk away"

"Oh, but remember? There should be no expectations. Trust me, I used to expect a lot and it lead to nothing but betrayal" I spat, throwing him a fake smile.

"Alright. What can I do for you? Please, tell me because honestly, I am tired of this. Since the moment Conrad has arrived, we have been fighting. Not to forget the part, I heard everything you thought about Cole just minutes ago. That Beta is lucky that I'm not ripping him to sheds right now." He gritted his teeth and I noticed his knuckles turning white as he fisted his palms.

"I am sorry, but it was out of curiosity. Just asking about my dead sister you know?" I knew that wasn't what he was referring to and if I were to be in his place, I would too be furious.

"You know that's not what I mind. You know something Evelyn? All I have done is act to get my mates attention. Yes, I know it wasn't right, but I am already regretting it so I opened up. However, you... well, you don't understand how it feels when your mate thinks about other male and what she picks up from his words. And just know, not something I would stoop to. You should think about it, really." With that he placed a light kiss on my forehead and... he walked out. His every word broke my heart as guilt overtook my body.

This entire time, I was just putting myself first. Yes, I thought approaching him and throwing remarks by avoiding him was putting in effort when in reality... I've always compared him to Cole. Nevertheless, when it comes to him, he hasn't stooped to the level of comparing me to anyone. Why was I jealous of Cole being my sisters mate when I have an alpha male as mine who loves me to maximum and so do I, but I've never really expressed it to him.

'I'm sorry' I whispered to my wolf. I've been keeping her from her mate too due to my selfish reasons. A tear slide down my cheek. I wiped it right away.

I will have to fix this and I will.

He. Is. Mine.