Chapter 12

Evelyn's POV

After taking a warm peaceful shower I put my hair in a high ponytail. Putting on my pj shorts and tank top I made my way downstairs, but I heard someone talking as I was about to turn through the hall.

"Alpha Xander" Xander replied stiffly. I know I shouldn't be eavesdropping, but werewolf hearing is just like that so I couldn't help it.

I couldn't really hear anything from the other side, but I heard Xander speak up again clenching his palms into fists.

"Well then, I thought I was speaking to Alpha Jace, but clearly not" wait what? Alpha Jace was Shane's dad... why would he be calling here? And what does Xander mean by saying 'I thought I was speaking to Alpha Jace, but clearly not'?

If it wasn't him then who could it be? Curiosity took the best of me as I slowly opened the door entering in. Xander looked at me giving me a small smile, but something didn't feel right. Sadness flashed through his eyes more like he was anxious about something.

'What is it?' I mind linked him. I now could mindlink anyone at ShadowLight being the member of the pack.

'It's...' he started, but didn't finish. Why though? I'm so confused ughhh!

'Tell me Xander... it's what?' I linked back.

I noticed as he took a deep breath before linking me back 'Shane'.

That did it. I stood there stiff. I couldn't move. My wolf was however going crazy thinking Shane called for us. No. I will be strong. I can handle this.

I slowly made my way towards Xander and grabbed the phone from him.

"Hello" I spoke softly...

There was a long pause before Shane finally spoke up.

"Eve-Evelyn?" he responded with so much concern and hurt, excitement everything mixed together in his voice.

"Yes" I monotonously replied. I loved him, but all he did was hurt me. So why did he bother calling now? Now I'm not even in his way. He can have that Stacy then why?

"Evelyn oh my god are you okay? I'm so sorry ugh are you okay? I'm coming to pick you up Evelyn" and... he hung hung up with that. I just stood there as his words processed into my mind. Did he just say he was sorry? Most importantly am I ready to go back with him and forgive him? And what about the connection I feel with Cole? I can't just leave without answers...no, just cannot.

"What happened Eve? What did he say?" Xander asked looking concerned.

"He-he is c-coming to pick me up..." I whispered softly still keeping my gaze stiff at the phone.

"WHAT?!?" he exclaimed furiously. I would be lying if I said I didn't flinch at the anger in his tone. Before I could utter another word Cole barged right into the room standing in front of me in defensive position. What the heck?

Xander just looked as confused as me, but I was glad he spoke up.

"Cole...? what are you doing man?" he questioned Cole.

"I heard you yell and I thought you'll hurt her and so..." I saw his cheeks turning light shade of pink which got me to blush as well... I'm sure he feels it too. However, Xander was oblivious to that weird connection we felt.

"Oh dude no you got it wrong. Her mate um..Shane is coming to pick her up and he told her that so I got sort of furious sorry man" he replied smirking. Oh lord how awkward can this get?

"Evelyn...you want to go with him?" they asked me though Cole looked like his heart shattered into pieces. I felt guilty... I mean I don't know what to do anymore. They accepted me, they care for me, and all Shane and my brother has done is hurt me... I don't even know if I'll ever be able to forgive them. This connection with Cole... I don't know what it is, but I feel wrong walking away from it.