Chapter 18

Cole's POV

'He is here'... as Xander's words refined through my mind, I felt a pang of hurt and jealousy in my heart. Not because Evelyn's mate was accepting her and she won't be mine, but because I never got chance to prove myself worthy of being a mate to my Emily as Shane is to Eve.

He did horrible things to her nevertheless, he got another chance... why not me though? The thought itself was killing me in the inside. All I've done was tried to keep everyone else's mood and sentiments lightened, but what about myself? I've always placed myself second for everything.

Just looking at Shane pulling her to his side, growling 'mine'... took me off. I clenched my jaw in process of turning my palms into fists as my knuckles turned almost white.

After everything he has done he doesn't deserve to call her his. Not yet at least.

However, I tried my best to hold back since I knew at a point, I had no choice really. I'll end up being submissive because of his advantage of holding higher rank compared to mine.

I noticed the look on Evelyn's face it was sadness interlaced with confusion. She was probably confused due to my strange behaviour at sudden.

Observing my surrounding, I noticed a guy who now stood beside Xander sharing physical features with Eve. That bastard must be Bran she talked about - I thought. His face went pale as Evelyn walked in. Hah pathetic excuse of a brother! Can't believe he was related to my mate as well.

Shane's beta made his way towards his Alpha taking hold of Eve's luggage by throwing her a concerned look however, she was too occupied into her own thoughts keeping her gaze stiff to the floor.

All my senses were soon on alert as Shane spoke up.

"Alpha Xander, we will now be proceeding back to our territory. Thank you" he curtly nodded looking at Xander.

Xander, however, held no emotion on his face.

"Anytime Alpha Shane" he said emphasizing 'alpha' bitterly.

Evelyn looked like she was ready to go with everything she had in her. Before walking out of the pack house she turned around to look back at me giving me a smile worth million. Calm down Cole..

'Bye Cole, take care, don't worry about me I'll be fine' she mind linked me. My eyes go wide before I responded her with honesty, 'stay safe, if anything we are all with you, Eve'

That moment when I saw her walking out... I now realized I saw my Emily in her.

Shane's POV

The drive back to the pack was awfully filled with silence and me trying to steal quick glances at Evelyn from the corner of my eyes. She didn't bother to utter a single word or induce a single sound.

Her silence was killing me and my wolf. All I wanted to do was comfort her and confront her that I'll spend my eternity to make it up to her being only hers, but after everything I've caused her the least I could do was cooperate with my beautiful mate as she parade her flaws.

Now that we arrived at the pack house...I'll have to take care of some pack stuff however, those for now, can be delt with later. Bran, however, looked nothing, but broken. Even a blind man could determine he was overwhelmed with guilt.

Finally, Evelyn chose to speak for once since past four hours of the drive. Her voice sound so melodic. I would never get tired for hearing it.

"Bran, I've something to talk to you about" she spoke monotonously, preventing even a bit of emotion drip off her voice.

Bran stiffened for a second, astonished about her actually making the first start of their conversation. However, I highly doubt it. The biggest grin plastered on his face as he took a step closer to her side.

"Yes?" he said oh so lovingly looking at his sister.

Rolling her eyes Evelyn just walked towards the stairs.

"Come" she called out in process.

I don't know what happened after that, but I believe now will be the good time to assure Ashley about Evelyn being in a good condition and that we have finally arrived since she had desperately been waiting on for this moment since we left.