Chapter 22

Evelyn's POV

"Shane...why are you uh...you know?..." I wanted to subject him about the little action he had pulled earlier, but I seemed to sprint out of words. However, it was like he knew exactly what I was going to enquire.

"Evelyn, I know what you're thinking, but despite of everything that happened between us in the past... I think this is the least I can do. Trust me, believe me when I said I'll spend every day of my life making it up to you" he said looking directly into my eyes with so much love that was held into his eyes, not going to lie it was as equivalent as to mine.

Despite of everything that had happened in past I just couldn't appear to get over the fact about how moon goddess chose him for me. I've always had a different sentiment whenever it came to Shane. I do feel affection for him as my mate nevertheless, I did and still do despise his previous playboy traits. All I could hope for is if he did refrain from those.

Right when I was about to retort to his confession my phone began to ring. Way to ruin the moment. I gave Shane an apologetic look before answering my phone.

"Hello" I said confused since it was from an unknown number.

"Eve!!" I heard the person exclaim on the other side. Right then, I knew exactly who it was. Talk about the awkwardness cuz it was no other than...

"Heyy, Cole!" I said it sort of happily. From the corner of my eyes I took a chance to glance at Shane. I noticed him stiffen as Cole's name escaped from my mouth. However, he just stayed there set still clenching his palms into fists. I don't really blame him though because I have known about Alpha mates being possessive over their mate.

"How are you? We all miss you so much you know!" He quickly responded. Well I don't know how Shane will take this considering the fact he really couldn't hear Cole's respond, but mine as I will say the next, but let's just have some fun no? After all, let's just consider it as a little payback?

"I miss you all too, Cole. Especially..." I emphasized the term 'especially' purposely "I seem to miss you and Paise the most. I mean I grew to attach to you two in not two days even" I said oh-so-innocently. I know it didn't seem fair, but hey! Some fun won't really cause much damage now will it? Nope! And however, yes I did miss them and even Xander in that terms.

"Awe, I wish we could have got to spend some more time together with Paise. She does miss you a lot, but hey you're alright there right? I mean your.." there was an awkward pause before he continued to speak "he is treating you well right?"

To play around more I sweetly said "Awe, that's too sweet. I miss Paise a lot too and yes, Shane is justttt fine"

I noticed as his knuckles turned close to white as if he was trying his best to control his anger. I bit my bottom lip in order to prevent myself from laughing.

I heard Paise chirp in the background "I LOVE YOU EWEEYWLENN"

I chuckled at her cuteness as I honestly responded back on instant "Love you too, take care..." after a few seconds once Cole stopped laughing we said our goodbyes.

Putting my phone on the night table, I diverted my gaze to Shane who was now looking at me with so much rage and anger that it intimidated both me and my wolf. At instant, realization hit me. It was utterly unintentional of me responding back with the 'love you' to Paise without mentioning her name, but to Shane it probably appeared as if that was for Cole. UGH silly me.

Moving a step closer to him I place my hand over his chest rubbing it in order to try to sooth his anger. Shane closed his eyes for a second before he seemed to relax by my touch.

"so you and that beta huh?" he spat bitterly, keeping his gaze stiff at the floor.

"w-what..?" I tried to hold back my laugh.

"Oh, don't play innocent Evelyn, I know there's something there you know? Between the two of you! I figured it at the moment he growled when I called you mine" He spat back with anger arising over him.

"Yes... yes there is..." what's wrong with me? I don't seem to be having a very good choice of words today. Shane's livid gaze shifted summiting mine. He was fuming with anger.

"WHAT?" He screamed at instant as an anxious shiver passed down my spine causing me to slightly jump back.

"NO! not like that though. I meant that 'love you' for Paise and the other miss you and sweet replies were just to joke around with you...and it's just that-"

"THEN WHAT DID YOU MEAN WHEN YOU SAID THERE'S SOMETHING BETWEEN YOU TWO?" now I was just as irritated, can't he just damn let me finish?

"WILL YOU LET ME FINISH, SHANE?" I yelled back. I felt guilty at immediate so I just pulled him into a tight hug inhaling his memorizing scent to calm myself down and he seemed to be doing the same.

"Shane..." I started softly still hugging him. He shivered as my lips brushed over his neck as I spoke.

"There wasn't anything like that between me and him. It's just you know... what happened with him right? Well yeah, turns out to be his mate, Emily was my sister... so we seemed to misinterpret the connection at first, but nothing happened Shane and he was the one who advised me to give us a chance" I signed slightly as I was done talking. I felt Shane's arms tighten around my waist as he pulled me even closer, burying his face into the crook of my neck. My wolf enjoyed being closer to our mate and I can't recline I did too.

"Mine" He whispered to himself nodding and repeating it once again before tightening his grip around my waist even more. I was soo trying to hold back my laugh at this.

We loved how possessive he was over us, but his next words left me stunned, once again. I swear this is all that's been happening since the moment I've returned, but this was a different feeling as his words processed through my mind, plaguing several thoughts at constant.

"I'm sorry, Eve. I love you..." he said that leaving a quick kiss on my neck.