Chapter One - Alena's P.O.V

"Hey babe, what's going on?" I said into the phone, I was walking through Stop and Shop, still in my work clothes, to do the grocery shopping for the week, plus grabbing stuff for my parents to come over for dinner tonight.

    "Just got out of work, on my way home now. What are we cooking up for dinner tonight?" Derrick asked, I could hear the echo from the bluetooth in his car.

    "Not really sure yet, but we'll figure it out." I walked down another isle, grabbing at least five boxes of pasta. "How was work?"

    "Same old news, some really rich old guy wants blueprints for this elaborate treehouse for his grandkids, so we started that today, but I have to actually go and visit the house before I can get anything exact. I just can't wait to come home to my beautiful fiancé."

    "Aw how sweet," I smiled into the phone. "Well, as excited as I am to see you too, I should probably focus on what I'm putting into this shopping cart before we end up having nothing but chips and frosting for dinner." We both laughed as I turned the corner to one of the random isles of the store, cheap romance novels and teen magazines lined up from top shelf to the floor.

    "Yeah, I don't think your parents would be all too impressed with that. I love you, I'll see you soon."

    "Love you too, bye hun." I hung up the phone and dropped it into my open purse in the front of the carriage, scanning the walls and laughing at some of the magazines that I remembered reading when I was in middle school; taking silly quizzes about "What nail color matches your personality?" and, "Which Disney channel heartthrob is your soulmate?"

    It was all fun and games, until my eyes met this month's issue of Alternative Press, and my mouth dropped to the floor.

    On the cover was Tyler fucking Joseph and Josh fucking Dun. And my heart felt like it had just been ripped out of my chest and attacked by a shark. What even is this? Is this real? I bent over to pick up the magazine and actually get a somewhat good look at it, and there they were on the cover of Alternative Press.

    "Twenty One Pilots," Is that their band name? I thought as I read the cover, looking closer at their faces and the print on the front. "Release of their sophomore album," Wait, they have an album out? TWO albums out? This is insane! I immediately tossed the magazine into the shopping cart and tried to continue on my way through the grocery store without over thinking it too much.

-

    I walked through the door, my arms racked with shopping bags and my purse before I finally could put everything down on the counter. Derrick walked over to me, still in his work clothes.

    "How are you darling?" He asked, gracing his hand along my lower back and pulling me into him for a moment to plant a kiss on my forehead, then release me and help put groceries away.

    "I'm wonderful," I told him as I lifted the milk carton onto the top shelf of the refrigerator. I honestly was wonderful, my day was fantastic until I saw the magazine, now I really don't know how I feel.

    "Well that's wonderful." Derrick smiled to me, reaching into another grocery bag to unpack some more food. "What is this?" I turned from the cabinet I was standing in front of to find the magazine in Derrick's hands.

    "Remember way back when we first met and I was dating that guy Tyler?" The words tasted like sour milk in my mouth, it felt so bizarre and unsettling to say.

    "Yeah, what about him?"

    "Well, that's him and his best friend Josh on the cover. Their band has released albums, and they're on the cover of magazines. They've actually made it." I smiled, despite of everything, I truly was proud of the two of them. It was incredible to look back at them in high school and imagine their new reality.