Chapter Nineteen - Tyler's P.O.V

Four days. It's been four days since I kissed her again. For the first time in years. I can't stop thinking about it, it won't leave my brain. The electric feeling of having her like that again won't leave my lips.

But she's gone.

I haven't told anyone. I can't tell Josh what happened, I can't even make sense of it myself. And Jenna, God, I feel terrible. I don't know what to do.

I love her. She's a beautiful soul, so kind and supportive of me always. But there was just something about being with Alena again that set my soul on fire. It didn't matter how things ended, or how things were for us right now, each of us wrapped up in new lives entirely distant from the previous one we shared together. Being with her again made the stars align. Something just felt right.

Although, my actions during most of the time that she was here did not reflect that. It just could not be a more difficult situation. Things just aren't as simple as they were when we were eighteen. They probably never will be again.

But that doesn't make me want her any less. I just feel so stuck.

In Plato's Allegory of the Cave, he describes that once the freed prisoner has seen the outside world, he will forever be changed and cannot simply return to life as he knew it inside the cave. He will "bless himself for the change."

Have I been blessed? It's too soon to tell. But what I do know is, I cannot simply return to life as I knew it.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Something quick to give you guys some of Tyler's voice again. There's still so much that's yet to be revealed... but I think we're all going to have to find some patience within us until then!!