Chapter Twenty Two - Alena's P.O.V

Feeling myself being squeezed and soft kisses being left on my forehead, I slowly drifted my eyes open to find Derrick inches away. "Good morning," I sighed, still sleepy.

"Ew babe, I missed you, but not your morning breath." He pinched his nose and made faces, moving away from me.

"Haha, very funny Derrick. Well, don't worry cause you're not getting any kisses anyway." With that, I rolled out of bed and walked towards the bathroom to freshen up for the day.

"What? No! You just need a little brush babe-" he came running after me, but I closed the bathroom door before he could make it in. "Aw, Lena please open up!" He knocked on the door, trying to grab my attention. I just left him to beg behind the door as I splashed my face with water. After drying and moisturizing my skin, I combed through my hair, and brushed my teeth. Afterwards, throwing on some quick natural make-up before opening the bathroom door again, to find Derrick still standing there.

"Better?" I breathed into his face.

"Much." He grinned.

"You know, if you're going to spend the rest of your life with me, you're going to have to get used to that. I'm surprised that you aren't already."

"I think I was, I just got kind of used to being without it for this past couple of days so now it was, a rude awakening..." I gasped, lightly smacking his chest with the back of my hand. No matter how hard I could've hit, he would just laugh like it was a tickle. I was no match to his large figure any day.

We both proceeded to walk out of the room and head downstairs to the kitchen. Coffees were already on the counter with a note underneath them. "Just a little morning treat & a thank you ♡" was written in Jessica's handwriting, and I just smiled. They are both too sweet. Assuming that the note meant that they weren't here, I called both of their names, receiving no response.

"Looks like it's just the two of us," I smiled, looking up at Derrick. His arms snaked around my body for his hands to rest at the small of my back. I brought my hands up and rubbed his biceps and shoulders. Within a moment's time, I was pulled into a soft kiss. I really did miss this, but as much as I felt at home in Derrick's arms typically, something just felt really off today. I still couldn't shake yesterday's nerves.

With that in mind, we didn't kiss for long. Soon we parted and went to sit in the living room with our coffees. Bentley joined us, happy as ever. I missed that little guy so much.

I hadn't even noticed him do it, but Derrick put on some soft music to play throughout the living room. I sat looking out the window at the morning sun. The trees were all practically bare, once colorful leaves gathering in the grass. The sun was so bright that if you didn't know any better, you would think it was warm outside today.

"What's going on in that pretty little head of yours?" Derrick asked, his fingers brushed over my cheeks, making me turn my head and face him.

"Too much to even explain." I murmured, giving him a soft smile.

"You know I'm here to listen, my love." He smiled, taking my hand and tracing circles with his thumb in attempt to relax me. "This ring says exactly that, that I am here to listen to you always, I'm here for you baby." He traced over the rock on my ring finger.

"I know, I'm so grateful for that." I truly was, but sometimes there are battles we have to fight ourselves, and this was certainly mine. "I'm just really stressed about going back to work, I've been gone for a little while and I'm not looking forward to playing catch-up for some time. Also, it's going to be kind of hard to have Bentley here while we're both at work, he's still such a puppy he's going to make a mess. I think I've just been biting off more than I can chew lately and it's starting to catch up to me now." While all of the things that I said were valid concerns of mine, they were absolutely not what had me so dazed. I know that Derrick knows me well enough to see through that, but he seemed to understand my current stress enough to know that it wasn't worth digging deeper than what I was giving him.