Chapter Two - Alena's P.O.V

I very rarely wake up early on my own unless I absolutely need to, but oddly enough on this Saturday, I was awake at 6:00.

    Derrick was still asleep, so I snuck out of bed and downstairs to make myself something for breakfast. After a quick bagel, I went into the office to catch up on some work material and look into some wedding stuff. But out of no where, out the corner of my eye, I saw the magazine now on the end of the desk.

    I spun in my chair and looked at it again, flipping through the pages and reading the article about them and their new album. And curiosity would kill the cat; even though I had wanted to distance myself from it and forget that I saw them on the cover, I couldn't help myself. I pulled a pair of earbuds out of the drawer and plugged them into the side of my laptop, opening Youtube and started playing their full discography, starting with the self titled album and going to Regional At Best, then Vessel, and Blurryface.

    It was unlike anything I've ever heard before. I couldn't even begin to form a thought on it, I was just amazed. My heart certainly felt like it was being stepped on when hearing the songs that he'd written for me way back when; they were all changed now, more lyrics and different instruments added in, but they were better. It was all so good.

    "Alena? Honey? Are you okay?" I faintly heard behind "Fairly Local" in my headphones, and looked up from my laptop to find Derrick standing in front of the desk.

    "Yeah, why do you ask?" I paused the song and pulled the headphones out, resting them against the keyboard.

    "Are you sure? Why are you crying?" God damn, I didn't even notice I was crying.

    "Oh, I have no idea honestly, I didn't even notice that I was crying." I wiped my cheeks with my hands and closed my laptop, getting up from the swivel seat and walking over to Derrick. "When did you wake up?"

    "Maybe five minutes ago, what time did you wake up?"

    "A few hours ago, actually, I don't know how it happened but I somehow woke up early without the assistance of you or an alarm clock."

    "And you aren't miserable either." Derrick laughed, but I punched him in the arm.

    "You know, I was going to offer to make you breakfast, but now I'm not so sure."

    "Aw you know I was only kidding!" He whined before sitting at the breakfast bar in the kitchen.

    "I wouldn't sit if I were you, you gotta start making your breakfast if you want it." I took a water bottle from the fridge and laughed as Derrick continuously begged for me to make him breakfast. I started walking back towards the office, but before I walked through the door way, I turned back to Derrick and looked him in the eyes before saying, "Eat this," and flipping him off.

    "Are you even real?" He asked, laughing with me.

    "I'd like to think no, but the answer is probably yes." And so, I continued into the office and put my earbuds back in, pressing play and listening to the end of "Fairly Local" and continuing with the rest of the album.

    By the end of "Goner," I was yet again in tears. I wished I had known about their music earlier. I wiped my tears and recollected myself before taking my earbuds out and putting them back into the drawer. I didn't want to talk to him again. Not yet, I don't think I could handle it, even after all of these years. So, I'd go for the closest thing.

    I opened the messages tab on my Macbook and typed in his name;

    "Hey Josh, really long time, no see or speak. How are you and Tyler? I just saw you guys on the cover of AP magazine and I can't even tell you how proud I am of you guys after hearing all of your music. Hope things are going well for you, I miss you guys, -Alena"

    I just hope to god his phone number hasn't changed since high school.

AUTHOR'S NOTE; EY EVERYBODY! sorry these first few chapters are going to be kind of short& dry, but I promise the good stuff is coming so just be patient.

    Thank you guys so much for reading, lots of love & thank you for the support! Please vote/comment/tell your friends & stay alive |-/