Chapter Eighteen - Alena's P.O.V

I rubbed my eyes. It was a strange feeling to be waking up in my own bed again. Derrick was already gone and at work, but Bentley was home to keep me company. Even though I wasn't here when Derrick first brought him home, he warmed up to me instantly, and I was so happy to have someone around when Derrick couldn't be home. I wouldn't be going back to work until tomorrow, so it was up to me to keep myself occupied.

After making myself a quick breakfast, I kept myself busy by cleaning the house. Clearly, Derrick hadn't taken it upon himself to do much while I was gone, but at least I have something to do now. It was distracting. I finally got my mind out of everything that had happened last week. I was at last away from the craziness and back in the present, things were starting to feel normal again. Or at least as normal as they possibly could...

Jack Johnson plays through the house as I wipe down windows. Bentley follows at my feet with every step I take as I sway to myself, amazed by his crazy puppy energy. It is a beautiful late-autumn day, and the leaves are now beginning to fall. Everything is calm.

It is as I am putting away supplies that I get a phone call. Though surprised by the Caller ID, I still answer.

"Hey!" I say, both excited but also noticeably confused.

"Hey Alena! I know so random, but Jess & I are actually in the area and were wondering if you're around?" Liz's familiar voice rang through the speaker.

"Yes! I'm at home, I'll send you my address you guys can come by!" I didn't ask any questions, figuring that they'd fill me in when they arrive.

"Amazing, we'll see you soon!" She hung up and I immediately sent my address. Within twenty minutes, my doorbell was ringing.

I open the door and we all embrace. They walk up to the door with bags, as in full-on luggage, but I still don't ask questions.

Since this is their first time coming to my home, I show them around and give them a tour. They both are so excited, in disbelief that Derrick and I have a home of our own.

"This is so amazing Alena, we are so happy for you," exclaims Jess.

"Thank you guys, I couldn't be happier." Or could I? Was this really everything I've ever wanted? "Can I get you guys anything? Please, make yourselves at home."

"Well,"

"I'll just have water, please!" Jess interjected before Liz could continue.

"Well, what?" I asked, looking Liz in the eyes as I got them each a glass of ice water.

"Speaking of making ourselves at home, we were actually wondering if we could stay here for a few days..."

"We just can't get back to Boston right away and we figured..."

"Guys, of course you can stay here! Like I would throw you two into some hotel, my doors are always open to you both." I embraced them both after setting their glasses at the breakfast bar. Afterwards, they each sat at a bench, repeating thank you's over and over.

"So, the other question we've been dying to ask..." Liz hesitates.

"How was tour?" Jess blurts out. Upon hearing this, I decide that before I can grab the empty seat between them, I need a glass of wine. It's five o'clock somewhere, right? (Yes, but not in Ohio.)

"It was, okay." I knew that the less details, the better. However, I also knew these two better than that, and I knew they wouldn't let me off so easily.

"Oh, come on Alena." "Then what's the need for the wine?"

"You would need a drink if you had to try to make sense of all of this, too."

"Maybe it's time we just start kissing." I hear Tyler's voice from that second-to-last night, sending shivers down my spine all over again. Even still, after a good night's sleep in my own bed, my own home, being away from all of that emotional turmoil, I could not make sense of those final days of tour.

"Alena, do you want to talk about it?" Jessica asked, sounding sincerely concerned.

"I just don't know if I can. Not yet, I'm sorry guys. I really appreciate you being here though." I really needed my friends right now. Things were not going to be easy, not now. After everything that happened, I needed to keep my cool, for Derrick's sake, and for my own. So really, they're the one's doing me a favor by staying here. I won't be able to compose myself without them here.

"Of course, we are always here." They both wrapped their arms around me and gave me a sitting group hug. I couldn't be more grateful for them.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Damn guys, long time no speak. So much has happened since the last time I updated, and I'm so sorry that it's been so long. Truth is I've been putting writing on the back burner for way too long. I sacrificed writing for a lot of things, most of them being the wrong reasons. But lately, I've been inspired and have needed to bring writing back into my life. I finished this chapter a few days ago, but I wanted to make sure I still had it in me & knew what direction I wanted to take this story in before continuing it for you guys.

I know that it's been so long that you guys may have lost interest; if so, that breaks my heart and I'm so sorry. I'm going to finish this story, in hopes that some of you are still hoping to hear out the fate of Alena, Derrick, Tyler, and everyone else! Even if not, I need to finish this for my sake. I have been carrying around the weight of this unfinished work for far too long, I need to finally do it justice and create a finished product.

So, I hope you guys are ready for what's in store. I'm so excited to finally share this with all of you!