Chapter Twenty Six - Alena's P.O.V

    "Seriously, you guys don't have to do that, I can take care of the dishes! You're our guests!" I insisted once again as Jess and Liz continued to rinse and clear dishes before loading them in the dishwasher. The evening had been a success. Derrick cooked a perfect Thanksgiving dinner, and both of our parents seemed happy as ever. Not to mention that I was pleasantly surprised by my brother tagging along (the past couple of Thanksgivings for him have been spent with his girlfriend's family rather than ours, but she was no longer in the picture as of the summer). Things couldn't have gone any smoother. After such an exhausting week, it was truly an almost perfect day.

    Almost perfect because even after how wonderful everything was, I don't feel any better. Maybe I have temporarily for the past several hours, but deep down the heavy feeling in my chest has not gone away. However, I tried to keep it below the surface.

    It was getting later into the night and we had just wrapped up dessert, so my parents and Brett were heading out any minute, while Derrick's parents were staying the night again before flying home tomorrow morning. I helped my parents carry their leftovers, and walked them to the car once everyone was finished saying their goodbyes inside. It was a bitter cold night, but everyone was bundled up in jackets and scarves, and Dad had wisely started the car a while before heading out. Even so, they lived only a couple neighborhoods away from here, so it wouldn't be much of a long drive at that.

    "I love you guys, thank you for coming today, it was so great to see you again." I smiled, yet another genuine one as a result of this amazing day.

    "Thank you for having us, Alena, everything was perfect." My dad smiled as he kissed the top of my head and embraced me tightly. "Be sure to express to Derrick once again how wonderful dinner was, he did a great job with everything."

    "Thanks Dad, I'll let him know once again" I laughed a little, then moved towards my mom to hug her goodbye.

    "Thank you Mom, for everything" I closed my eyes and exhaled. Everything has just felt so heavy, and today was the first time in quite a while that I felt almost light again. This was partly thanks to her. Even when I've had no where else to turn, I've had her.

    "I love you sweet girl, thank you again for having us." She smiled warmly to me before her and dad started towards the car.

    "Glad to have you back at the Jenkins family Thanksgiving, little bro." I smiled and hugged him tightly. With me working (well, up until recently) and being moved out, while he was in the midst of his junior year at University of Dayton, we just never get to see each other anymore. Even before I left home for school, he was so young that he wasn't exactly interested in his older sister, and I was busy enough for myself; we were essentially more of housemates than we were siblings. I'd like to think that by the time he graduates, our relationship will have changed.

    "Glad I could be here. You seem really happy, I'm glad I could see you again." Seem... oh what he doesn't know.

    "Good luck with the rest of your semester! You're almost there." He laughed as if to say that it wasn't close enough, then got in the back seat. I at last shouted, "Drive safe guys!" And with that, I walked back into the house and was once again surrounded by loud chatter and dishes being put away by my amazing friends. Derrick's parents were about to head up for bed, and after putting away the last of the silverware, Jess and Liz decided they would be doing the same. Soon enough, everything was back to normal. All leftovers were wrapped up in the fridge, dishes were cleaned and put away, and it was now setting in that the holiday was over. Before following the influence of everyone else and going up for bed, Derrick and I sat in the living room together. Almost all of the lights had been turned off, the only remaining ones leaving a warm glow on the walls. There was still soft music playing from dinner that we had neglected to turn off, but I'm glad we hadn't. I took a deep breath, exhaling and releasing any of the stress and tension in my body. Then, grabbed Derrick's hand. As I did so, we turned and looked at each other. I was lost in the darkness of his eyes when his voice snapped me back to reality.