Chapter 7

Danny's P.O.V.

Sunlight was beaming onto my face when I arose from my sleep. The soft feeling of a breeze tickling my arms made me shiver with delight.

I cracked one eye open, to see a small open window to the side of the room. I could see the vast ocean from the windows view.

A bird came swooping down and landed onto the porthole's sill. It had brightly red feet and a yellow beak. Its wings were a dark grey colour, while its body was a pure white.

My Grandma was quite the knowledgeable woman and she had taught me many things as a child and if I remember correctly, this was one of those cute, little Red-legged Kittiwakes- they were always my favourite.

It flew towards me and I lifted my arm up in the air and it landed with a soft touch onto my hand. Its small claws pitter-pattered over my arms, making me giggle.

If I looked closely, I could see his eyes were rimmed with a thin red line, just as brightly as his skinny legs.

I lifted my other arm and gently stroked the bird softly with my fingers, its feathers glowing in the sunlight.

The door burst open all of a sudden, causing the bird to take flight in fright. It seemed to be unable to find a way out and was flapping its wings hastily, flying into the walls in an attempt to escape.

I stood up quickly and saw it had been Theodore who had barged in unannounced.

I carefully strolled over towards the bird and tentatively tried to catch it in my hands. It flew right into my hands and I smiled brightly at the friendly bird.

Standing on my tippy toes, I reached towards the port hole with my hands, guiding and showing the little bird the exit. It flapped his wings, chirped a friendly tune and off it went to who knows where.

I turned around to face Theodore and saw him standing at the door, staring at me with a look of... astonishment on his face?

"You startled it." I stated.

Shaking his head, he asked, confused, "Pardon?"

"The bird, you startled it." I elaborated.

"Oh, um...how did it get in?" He asked dumbly.

"Through the window." I answered.

"Oh." He said stupidly, which didn't suite him very well.

I started giggling at him. He looked like a lost puppy. It was adorable.

"Why are you laughing?" He asked gruffly.

"Because you look like a lost puppy, it's adorable." I said voicing my thoughts.

"Adorable?!" He asked, outraged.

"Yes." I answered and attempted to stop my laughing by biting my lips, but I wasn't very successful.

"Why... that... uh..." he tried spluttering out and it made me giggle even more, "I'm not adorable!"

"If you say so." I teased him.

"Arrrgh! Never mind that. I want you on deck." He said grumpily and rushed out of the door before I could even reply.

He is aware I'm not a part of his crew, right?

Walking onto deck, I noticed everyone was buzzing about, calling and shouting excitedly at each other. They kind of looked like a group of teenage girls gossiping, instead of ruthless pirates.

My thoughts had caused me to give a soft twitter.

"Why are ye always gigglin' at somethin'?" Skipper asked, popping out of nowhere.