Chapter 22

Danny's P.O.V.

I woke up, feeling my skin and hair crusted with sand. I was shivering slightly from the cold breeze blowing through the morning air. My eyes stung a tad bit and I could feel a headache starting.

I slowly sat up and gazed out into the sea, feeling numb. I sat there for a few moments before deciding it would be best if I went back to the village.

Dusting myself off, I stood and straightened my dress, a new one from the one of the celebration. I tried combing my hair with my fingers and tied it with a string I had gotten from Pepper.

I gave a dejected sigh and commenced my way to my destination - the walk back feeling much longer then it had yesterday.

Pepper was there to greet me once I entered the village, "Mornin' Lass! Where 'ave ye been?"

"Nowhere." I said softly and shuffled past him.

He followed after me and hurriedly asked, "What's wrong Lass?"

"Nothing." I came to a stop and turned to face him, "Is there something you wanted to tell me?"

He gave me a warry look before saying, "We found th' location o' th' booty."

"Really?" I asked shocked.

"We got th' Chief t' open up. Apparently thar tribe has been protectin' th' booty fer generations. It took some convincin', but aft we mentioned ye bein' threatened, th' chief said he would lead us t' th' booty. Luckily fer us we 'ave ye." he explained further, adding a wink at the end.

Theo doesn't seem to think so.

"When are we leaving?"

"Now." He said and guided me to the Chief's tent.

We entered and I immediately spotted Theo, leaning against a wooden pole with his arms crossed over his chest. My heart tightened and my eyes began to sting once more but I ignore it.

The Chief rushed forwards and grabbed me into a hug, like every time the man sees me. "Where have been?" He asked after pulling away.

I gave Theo a quick look before putting on a fake smile and responding, "Just went for a walk, that's all."

"Good." The man said and took a seat on his chief like throne, "You have heard of plans?"

A nod from me and a shout from Pepper saying yes.

"I cannot leave village so I send Teton, Ho-Chunk and Hiute with you." The chief said.

Hopiana barged into the shelter and defiantly but still respectively added, "And me."

The chief gave a sigh, but nodded his head none the less.

"We leave now." Theo declared, looking no one in the eye, and left the tent. I ran after him.

"Theo!" I yelled. He had turned around so suddenly, I had nearly ran into him.

"I had told you long ago to not call me that, I suggest you start listening to that command." He said lowly, his eyes burning with anger.

"You're being unreasonable." I said, my anger starting up as well.

"How so?" He asked seething.

"I trusted you with this information and what do you do? You get angry and accuse me of disloyalty. You say I betrayed you, but, in fact, it's you who betrayed me." I said, my anger now simmering on the surface.

A deep growl emitted from his throat. He sent me one last glare before stalking off.

Ugh! He's being so unfair!