Chapter 19

Danny's P.O.V.

"How do you know we're not lost?" I asked sceptically.

"Dove, I've told you before, I'm the captain of my crew. How else am I supposed to lead them properly if I can't do the simple things?" He said with confident strides to the front of our band.

Simple things, he says. I can't even find my way home from the mall, I usually get lost so in the end my dad has to come and find me.

"Yeah, yeah." I grumbled under my breath whilst brooding.

There was a slight path running through the forest and we've been following it for the past hour or so. Theo says it's best to follow the path for now so we know how to find our way back. 'Always find a very distinctive beacon when starting on a journey in an unfamiliar place.' Were his more precise words.

"We'll stop here for a few minutes." Theo shouted from the front.

I sat down on a rock closest to me and took a moment to gather my energy. I wasn't quite used to walking so far for so long and the heat was definitely not helping.

Theo came over with a flask in hand; the cap already off. He handed it to me and I greedily took a few gulps. It felt wonderful to have the cold, fresh water run down my somewhat parched throat. I put the cap back onto the flask and handed it back to Theo appreciatively.

"Thank you."

He nodded in acknowledgment and moved to sit next to me on the rock. I scooted over to give him a bit more space, seeing as how much bigger he was than me; not that I was calling him fat or anything.

"How much father will we be going before we stop for the night?"

"Dove, we've barely been walking for an hour." He said with a chuckle.

I groaned in disapproval and rolled my head back in distain, "I'm not used to this kind of torture."

"Now you're just making it worse than it really is." He stated with another chortle.

I shot my head up and sent him a threatening look, "I'll start refusing to speak to you again."

"Well, in that case, complain all you want." I just laughed at him.

We began moving again shortly after that and Pepper was kind enough to keep me company. I had created a strong bond with him over these past three weeks and his company was always welcomed as was the rest of the crew's.

I gazed down at the earth's floor for a moment and something caught my eye.

"Pepper?" I called for his attention.

"Aye Lass?"

"Are you by any chance married?" I asked staring down at the simple silver ring on his left ring finger.

"Blimey, aye I am. How did ye know?" He asked, looking at me in shock. I merely pointed to his ring, "Ah, o' course."

"Why haven't you told me before?" I asked with a tinge of hurt in my voice.

"Ye ne'er asked." He said honestly.

"I can understand that," I said being reasonable before excitedly asking, "What is she like?"

Pepper got a far off look in his eyes and his lips unconsciously slipped a smile on, "She's more than I could 'ave ever deserved, our sprogs as well-"

"You have children?" I was actually a little shocked - not in a bad way of course.

"Aye, two lovely poppets 'n a brave young lad." He said with pride in his voice and he even puffed his chest out the tiniest bit.

There was a silence between the both of us but I promptly broke it, "Well go on than, tell me about them."