Adventures in Biology I

"Today we are going to go to the nature center!" Mr. Teckath announced. "You and a partner will be collecting samples of living things. Next class, we will look at them under the microscopes." Henry and Grace had made eye contact when Teckath had said "partners". Anytime they were partners for anything, it always ended up...interesting to say the least. Teckath began to pass out containers for each partnership and continued to talk, "There is a section in the nature center that has thick poison ivy. You may go there, but you have to be careful. I don't want any angry parents," he shot a pointed glance at Henry. "Any questions?"

Henry raised his hand and spoke without waiting to be called on, which was something Teckath didn't seem to have a problem with. "Can we collect poison ivy to look at underneath the microscope?"

"No, because I value having a job as a living biology teacher."

Grace raised her hand. "Can I catch a squirrel?"

"You're probably not going to be able to catch a squirrel, and we can't bring it back into the school with us." There was a chorus of "awww"s from multiple people in the class, which Teckath ignored.

Henry raised his hand again. "Why isn't Robin helping us with this? He knows the forest in and out."

"Yeah!" Someone named Toby agreed.

"Because Mr. Robin Hood is busy today."

"Busy making out with your mom," Grace whispered to Henry, who had to force back laughter.

~

As they class was nearing the nature center, they passed the elementary school, which was next door. Roland was at recess, and he saw Henry and Grace. He rushed over to them, ignoring the teacher who called at him not to.

"Hey, Roland!" Henry said as he picked the kindergartener up.

"Hiya!"

Grace waved to Roland as well, and he waves back happily. One of the kindergarten teachers who was outside for recess duty approached Roland, Henry, and Grace.

"Roland, you need to come back to the playground."

He frowned. "But I wanna stay with Henry and Grace."

Teckath was nearing Henry, Grace, and Roland, carrying on a conversation with a student named Abby. When Abby saw Roland, she dropped her conversation with Teckath and walked over to her classmates.

"He's so cute!" She exclaimed. "is he your brother?"

"Not yet," Grace answered without hesitation.

"Oh! So he's Robin Hood's son?"

"Yup!" Roland confirmed.

"Alright," Teckatch interrupted, "it's time to stop playing with the kindergarteners. Though I'm sure Roland would love to join us, he has his own class he needs to go to."

"Okay," Roland pouted, but allowed Henry to set him down. "Bye, Henry! Bye, Grace!"

"Bye!"

"Goodbye!"

~

Henry held up one of he and Grace's container. Inside was a cricket that was hopping around. It wasn't an easy thing to catch, but it was well worth it, in Henry's opinion. Grace wasn't going to even hold the container it was in. Henry was tempted to somehow trick her into holding it, but he refrained.

Grace had collected several things in their other container. Two different leaves - which were required - a pine needle, two different flower petals, a berry that was possibly poisonous, and a small twig. Both Henry and Grave were walking, talking about Doctor Who, when Henry suddenly stopped and looked at the ground. He bent down, picked something up, and showed Grace.

"Look, a feather."

"Aren't you, like, not supposed to touch feathers with your bare hands because of birds' diseases or something?" Grace asked, but she took the feather from Henry and began to study it.

Henry shrugged. "I dunno, maybe. Or maybe that was just something they told us when we were little and our immune system couldn't fight anything off."

"This isn't health," Grace teased.

"Either way, a feather would be pretty cool to look at under a microscope."

"Good point," Grace agreed. She opened the container in her hand and set the feather inside gently before closing it again. She held the container up so it was at her eye level, "I think we've got enough."

Henry nodded, "I think so too. Let's go see if anyone else is done."

Just then, a shout sounded from the direction of Teckath. It was Toby; "IT'S TIME FOR AN INSPIRATIONAL SPEECH!"

Henry and Grace made their way back to where Teckath, Toby, and a crowd of students were. Toby and another student - Luke - were standing on a picnic table. Toby began his "inspirational speech".

"Today, I have some important, inspirational, life tips for you! But first, a few jokes! Mads?"

Mads, a short boy who spoke with a Danish accent, stepped up on the picnic table. Several people were having quiet conversations, so Mads had to shout over the noise. "There are three types of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't!"

Henry applauded loudly as Mads spoke again, "Studies show that five out of four people can't count!"

Grace joined Henry in his obnoxiously loud applause. Neither of them were quite sure why Teckath hadn't stopped Toby and Mads yet. Toby began his "inspiration speech", and rambled on for about three minutes before it was time to head back inside. Toby shouted out one last thing before jumping off of the picnic table, "One more thing! If your little cousin ever wants to paint you fingernail like this," he showed off his left pinkie which had a coat of hot pink nail polish on it, "you let them! Thank you for your time."

~

On the walk back, Toby began shouting out mini "inspirational speeches", which were really just life tips. "Inspirational speech number two: Always look before you cross the road!"

Five mini "inspirational speeches" later, Henry and Grace were walking about seven steps in front of Toby, laughing at his life tips, as they were getting more pointless the more he spoke. "Inspirational speech number six: If you see two kids walking in front of the big group, they are dating!"

"I heard that!" Henry called. It was obvious Toby had been referring to Henry and Grace.

"But you didn't deny it," Toby called back.

"No, we didn't," Grace replied. She and Henry bit back laughter as Toby searched for a response.

"Your mom is going to kill you if she finds out you said we were dating," Grace whispered.

Henry rolled his eyes. "Been there before. Don't worry, Robin and Killian will protect me."

Five mini "inspirational speeches" later, everyone was back in the biology room. The bell rang, and everyone crowded out of the classroom.

~

Author's note: This chapter is based off of my biology class. I could not come up with all of this on my own. So I'm really hoping no one in my biology class reads this...
But if anyone does, comment I want to know who you are