Adventures in Biology II

Henry hadn't actually meant to throw the punch, but he wasn't sorry he had. Cody had it coming.

Henry was working on something with Grace, and Cody was working with Toby at the table next to theirs. Henry and Grace finished second, and Cody and Toby were done a few minutes later. Toby turned to Grace and Henry to start a conversation.

"So, have you two finally admitted your undying love for each other?" Toby asked.

"No," Henry replied, "we're just going to stay friends so we can annoy you by not becoming a couple."

Toby rolled his eyes, "I'm sure. So, when are you going on your first date?"

Grace placed a finger to her chin, pretending to think. "Hmmm...maybe once we can convince our parents not to kill us. We haven't quite decided yet."

"Come onnnnnnnnnnnnnn," Toby complained.

"They're probably telling the truth." Cody decided he wanted to join the conversation as well. "I mean, Henry's mom is the Evil Queen."

"Former Evil Queen," Henry corrected, "and for the record, she's fine with us dating."

"Well it's not like she's even your real mom, so it's not such a big deal."

"She is my real, mom and if you have an objection, them you can--"

"Henry!" Grace interrupted, knowing an argument was bound to break out.

Cody took the opportunity to shoot another remark towards Henry, "Regina probably doesn't even love you; she just pretends too. It's just fact - you can't love anybody once you've been to a place that dark."

That was what did it for Henry. Before he could really comprehend what was going on, he had punched Cody, and Cody was holding his nose. "You broke my nose! You broke my nose!"

~

Henry had lost track of how long it had been before Regina and Robin entered the office to take him home. He had been suspended for three days, but he didn't really care. When Henry looked at Regina, rather than seeming disappointed, she almost looked like she had been about to cry only a few minutes ago.

"Henry, come on," Regina sounded exhausted when she spoke. "Let's go home. We have matters to discuss, and Roland's waiting in the car."

Henry was even more confused when Regina revealed that Roland was in the car, but he stayed silent as Regina signed him out and promised to talk to him about what happened at home.

~

Once home, Henry and Roland both followed their parents into Regina's house, confused slightly by why the other was there. Regina told them to sit at the table, so they sat next to each other while Regina and Robin sat across from them. Once everyone was settled, Regina spoke.

"Both of you used physical violence today within a half hour of the other. I've heard Roland's story, now Henry, I'd like to hear yours."

Henry told Regina what had happened, and he definitely noticed hers eyes get redder. Robin must have noticed too, because he took over for Regina, "I know this isn't what we're supposed to do, but I am proud of both of you for standing up for Regina. However, physical violence is not the way to do that, do you understand?"

Both Roland and Henry nodded. Robin looked to Regina to see what to do next, and she shrugged. Robin turned back to Henry and Roland, "Well I think the school suspending you was punishment enough. Regina has to go back to work, so I'll stay here with you two."

Regina stood up and muttered something about having to go to the bathroom before she walked down the hallway. Robin told Henry to figure out something they could watch before following Regina.

"Is something wrong?" Robin asked in a hushed voice, so as to not alert Henry and Roland.

Regina shook her head. "No. No, not at all. I just...I'm not used to having anyone who will stand up for me."

"Regina," Robin started, "I don't know why more people don't stand up for you. You have come so far from the person you were. According to the Seer - whoever that is - you don't even have any darkness left in you."

Regina didn't know how to respond to that, so she just wrapped her arms around Robin, burying her head in his shoulder. Robin ran a hand through her hair and let it rest on her back. They stayed like that for a few minutes, until they both remembered that Henry and Roland were waiting on Robin. Robin pulled back and looked at Regina, "How about you take the rest of the day off? I bet Henry and Roland have a great Disney movie picked out."

Regina nodded, "I think that sounds like a good idea."

~

Henry and Roland were already prepared when Regina and Robin entered the living room. The couch had plenty of blankets and pillows piled out of it, and three bags of microwave popcorn were sitting on the floor, waiting to be eaten. Henry was putting the Brave DVD in, and Roland was sitting on the pile of blankets and pillows. He waved to Regina and Robin as they walked towards the couch.

"What are we watching?" Regina asked.

"Brave,"Henry answered. "I figure if Merida's real, we should get to know her story. Are you staying?"

"Yes."

Three minutes later, the four were all sitting on the couch, watching a young Merida hide hide from her mother. Robin put an arm around Regina, and pulled her closer. Regina leaned her head on Robin's shoulder and breathed in his scent, which somehow managed to still be slightly forest-y, even after everything. It was still surreal to Regina that he was here - that they were- here despite all that had happened.

~

As Henry and Roland were falling asleep (they had convinced Regina and Robin to let them sleep in sleeping bags in the living room), Henry asked Roland about what had happened to him that day.

"Well..." Roland began, "we were making a butterfly, an d we had to put colored dot stickers on it based on our families. A purple one for our mama, a green one for our papa, a blue one for each of our brothers, and a pink one for each of our sisters. Afterwards, we had to tell the class about each sticker, and I put a purple one on for 'Gina. But Danny started saying that 'Gina didn't love me and she'd never be my mama. But he was wrong...right?"

"Very," Henry agreed. "Son't listen to people when they say stuff like that. It's just because they're jealous thy don't have Regina for their mom."

Roland thought about Henry's words for a few moments before saying, "Yeah."

Roland fell asleep a few minutes later, and Henry not long after.