Chapter Twenty Three

Class Rep was a lot faster than he looked, being short and kinda scrawny. Kaoru and I were having a hard time keeping up with him as he ran into every room he came across then running out again, screaming.

"Slow down, we can't keep up." Kaoru called to him, me a little behind them both. Then we were all, suddenly pushed into the next room by an unknown force. We all grunted/yelped as we landed on the floor. By the inside, we saw it was a science room.

I tried jiggling the door but it won't budge.
"They've locked us in." I sighed and joined the others on the floor.
"Looks like the A team got a little carried away." Kaoru said and looked at Class Rep, still hugging his knees.

"Which one are you?" He asked.
"Kaoru, are you scared?" He replied.
"Not anymore." Class Rep smiled and Kaoru turned to me.
"Are you okay?" He asked.
"Yeah." I sighed. "That woman at the stairs was creepy though." I laughed.

"It's such a shame." Kaoru sighed and rested his head in his hand. "We had everything figured out. We were gonna scare Kurakono half to death then you'd come in to rescue her." Awe, that's so sweet.

"You'd do that for me? Thanks but I don't have a shot with her." Class Rep shrugged and started playing with his fingers.
"Why not?" I asked.
"There's someone else she likes." He replied. "Though Fujioka doesn't feel the same, I'm positive it's only a matter of time."

"It's not going to happen, I promise." I laughed nervously.
"Why not?" He asked.
"It just won't."

"Still, I don't want to risk changing anything right now." He smiled, twiddling his thumbs. "Just being on the committee with her is such an honour. If this is as good as it's going to get, I'm still grateful." He explained, not removing his smile. He's utterly smitten.

"So in other words, you cast a spell on the carriage." Kaoru sighed, leaning back on the wall with his hands on the back of his head.
"Huh?" I asked.
"When we were children, neither us or the boss had many friends to speak of." He said, his face read that he was in deep thought.

"He just wants to enjoy what he has for as long as he can." He explained.
"I'm sorry but you've lost me." Class Rep smiled innocently.
"But one of these days, its going to turn back into that same ol' pumpkin again." Kaoru finished with his face now saddened.

"Kaoru? Risa? Are you in there?" Hikaru's voice called along with him thumping on the door. It swung open and there he was, his eyes locked on Kaoru and they instantly hugged, saying each other's names. They were separated for ten minutes and its like a family reunion.

"Where's Haruhi?" I asked, realising she wasn't with Hikaru.
"Oh..." He realised, embarrassed. Then Haruhi appeared, jogging exhaustedly and stopped and panted when she reached us.
"What's... wrong with you?" She frowned, catching her breath. "I get us out and... you run off by yourself?"
"Sorry." Hikaru admitted sheepishly.

What Kaoru said in the science room really got me thinking. I remember him and Hikaru talking about their lives at the karaoke place and when they walked me through how they joined the club.

'Casting a spell on the carriage' I echoed in my head. We all know the club isn't going to last forever but... he's worried about something else.

When we all got sorted, we made our way to the indoor garden where the C team were.
"Why did you leave your post?" One of them asked.
"We called off the whole thing to go looking for you." Complained another but all we could do was look at them with confusion.

"Wasn't that you trying to scare us?" I asked.
"No, we didn't do anything." A boy assured, just as confused as we were.
"Then who was_" I began to ask but was interrupted by two girls screaming and holding each other.

"I-In the window." One shivered.
"There's a dark figure!" Screamed the other and everyone's attention was turned to the window.

The was a huge bat like shape hovering over the skylight. We all screamed at the top of our lungs, it scared all of us half to death and we didn't have to be asked twice to scarper out the building. I swear, I'm gonna have nightmares tonight...

"Risa, where are you?!" Kaoru called through the crowd of screaming people.
"Here!" I called back, caught on in corner in fear of getting trampled on.

Kaoru faught his way through and when he got to me, he hugged my as tight as he could. "Kaoru, I'm okay." I choked. This obviously shook him up quite a bit.
"Don't leave me like me that." He said softly but shakily.

"I'm fine, I promise." I smiled. "Where's Hikaru?"
"Here." Hikaru's voice called and sounded a little far away. We heard his footsteps running closer to us then he joined Kaoru and I into a little group hug. I was suffocating to begin with, never mind now.

"For the third time, I'm fine. You can let go of me now." I said and they both laughed and let me go.
"I think we should go home now." Kaoru suggested and I couldn't say yes fast enough.

So we started walkng down the school drive together until I went left and the twins went right to go home.
"Where are you going?" Kaoru asked.
"Home." I said like it was obvious, pointing in the direction I was about to go.

"No, you're not, you're staying with us again." He said and opened the limo door.
"You can't be serious." I laughed.
"But I am." Kaoru nodded. "Get in."

Hikaru was less on the eager side for me to join. He was very quiet and didn't look too happy.
"I will if both of you want me." I said and Kaoru looked at his brother for agreement. It's not going to be the easiest for Hikaru to act normal around both Kaoru and I, I don't blame him for that but he could at least be a little more subtle.

"Fine." He grunted. It was obvious to me and Kaoru that something wasn't right with him. Hikaru's going to crack anytime, I know it.

"Sorry, maybe another night." I shrugged sadly.
"Wha- Why? You said_" Kaoru argued.
"I know but its not hard to tell Hikaru doesn't want me there." I said, cutting him off. "Goodnight."

I turned back to my original direction and let a stray tear roll down my cheek as I walked.
"At least let us drive you home." Kaoru called to me as I heard his footsteps get closer.

I wiped my eye before I replied.
"It's not far, I'll be fine." I assured but he wasn't convinced.
"Are you crying?" He asked.
"No, its the wind in my eye." I lied and Kaoru could see that.

"You're staying with us, whether you like it or not." He demanded and took me by the hand, entangling our fingers. Likewise with Hikaru, the guilt was eating me alive.

If anyone has to tell him, it has to be me. I mean, I kissed his brother behind his back but it meant absolutely nothing to me. I only did it out of pity.

Still, I don't deserve Kaoru's kindness and telling him is going to be the hardest thing I'll ever have to do, that includes rejecting Hikaru.

"Risa, what's wrong?" Kaoru asked, his face growing concerned.
"Hmm?" I replied.
"You know you can tell me anything." He assured. If only that were true.
"I'm okay, just... Still a little ill from the other day." Again, I lied straight through my teeth.

What am I going to do?