Chapter Twenty Seven

When we arrived at the hospital, Kaoru and I were having our casts fitted. I had a pale blue one and Kaoru had a peachy orange one. I was grateful I was right handed and it was my left arm broken.

I broke my arm in one place, just below the elbow but Kaoru, with it being his foot, broke five including two toes.
"I'm so sorry." Kaoru whispered to me.
"Why? What are you sorry for?" I asked.
"It was my idea to get a cab." He admitted, pursing his lips.

"You've got to be joking." I frowned. "You aren't seriously sorry for that."

"If we ordered the limo or took the train, then we wouldn't be here... and Taku would still be alive to see his family." A stray tear dripped out his eye and onto the hospital bed and I gripped his hand.
"Don't you dare say that." I frowned, angrily.

"But_"
"No." I argued. "You are not to blame for this." I wiped another tear from his cheek and leaned on his shoulder. "Be thankful that we're still alive."

"Excuse me." The nurse came up to us. "You have guests by the names of..." She looked under some papers of her clipboard. "Hikaru and Luke."
Luke? Why was he here?
"Let them in." Kaoru nodded and the nurse bowed.

The next thing we heard was,
"Kaoru, Risa!" Being yelled in Hikaru's voice. He ran up to us with open arms and hugged us both. We winced at the pain from the bruises but Hikaru still wasn't letting go. "I'll kill you for scaring me like that." He cried into Kaoru's shoulder.

"We're fine." I assured, stroking his back. Luke then showed up behind him with a bouquet of flowers.
"Hikaru told me." He said. At this point, Hikaru was snuggling up to his brother instead of me so I could move. "Some date." He half smiled and handed me the bouquet. "For you."

"Thanks." I smiled, setting them down next to me.
"So what happened?" Luke asked.
"I don't really know. A car just smashed into the side of the cab we were in and we woke up on a patch of grass next to the road." I explained. "It was a blur."

"I'm so glad you're alright." Luke sighed, looking at us both.
"Yeah, we're okay. Still a little shaken but okay." Kaoru agreed and managed to get Hikaru to calm down a little. "The driver, however, wasn't as lucky." He narrowed his eyes at the grey-blue floor

"Excuse me, were you the passengers of the taxi, my husband was driving?" A woman with shoulder length, light blonde hair asked with two children with her, holding each of her hands. One boy, one girl. All of them had been crying, the boy still was. He didn't look any older than five.

"We're very sorry for your loss." I said, not daring to look at the children's faces.
"I'm sorry most of all." Kaoru admitted, also looking away. "If I hadn't of_"
"Kaoru!" I snapped. I will not have him punish himself for this.

"No, we aren't blaming you." The woman tried to smile. "We just wanted to say that the driver that crashed into you has been caught." She informed and Kaoru and I looked at her wide eyed. "He was seen on CCTV. They tracked the license plate and he's been charged with drunk driving and man slaughter."

"That's great, thank you." I said. "Our condolences." Everyone nodded with me.
"You're more than welcome to attend the funeral." She smiled.
"We'll do our best to make it." Kaoru smiled at the three and the woman nodded before she left with her children, still holding onto her.

"They don't deserve this." Luke said, breaking the silence. We all shook our heads in agreement.
"Guys!" Haruhi called from the door and we all turned to see her with the rest of the club.

"What on earth happened?" She asked worriedly.
"We had a little car accident." Kaoru replied.
"A little?! Someone died." She said and went to hug me for comfort.
"Careful, everything hurts." I moaned, patting her back.

"Kao-chan!" Honey called and leaped into Kaoru's arms. He winced at the painful bruises and Honey gave an apologetic face. "I'm so happy you're both okay." He said, nuzzling his face into Kaoru's chest. It was kinda cute.

"My daughter! What have they done to you?" Tamaki-senpai cried, engulfing me into a bear hug.
"I'm okay, daddy." I choked, being squeezed by him. "The guy's been caught."

By the end if the night, everyone shed at least one tear, with the exception if Mori and Kyouya of course. They weren't pleased with what happened but they weren't exactly crying on their knees. Who would be happy after something like this? A man died tonight and Kaoru and I almost joined him.

I think Hikaru will take the longest to recover after this, he was still clinging onto Kaoru, terrified that something would happen if he let go.

It was getting late, the date ended around 9pm and we arrived at hospital about an hour later. By the time everyone calmed down, at least to a decent level, took until around midnight so we were pretty beat.

"I think Risa and I are going to spend the night here." Kaoru said, as if reading my mind.
"No, you're coming home." Hikaru protested. He just didn't want to leave his brother and who could blame him after tonight?

"Hikaru, I can't walk. You can spend the night with us if you want." Kaoru smiled.
"I'll get a wheelchair, Risa can come too. I just want you both safe and in my sight at all times." Tears started to roll down his cheeks as he begged.

"Hikaru." I said softly. "We're both tired beyond belief. We've had a long, crazy, traumatic night and we don't want to walk anywhere for a while. Please, stay here and we'll go home tomorrow." Hikaru looked away from me, then at the floor. He clenched his hands into fists then slowly nodded.
"I'll tell a nurse to get a bed." He said quietly then walked away. "Promise me you'll stay there." He ordered, looking back at us.

"Promise." Kaoru and I said together. That seemed to be enough for Hikaru to let go for a while.
"So how long do you have to wear the casts?" Haruhi asked us.
"Five weeks for me, four for Risa." Kaoru answered. My cast covered my arm from my knuckles to just above my elbow. Kaoru's had his three unbroken toes out if the cast, the broken were the two smallest ones, and the rest reached just below his knee.

"I guess you aren't going to be hosting for a while." Honey said quietly, looking at the floor in disappointment.
"We'll try as soon as we can." I smiled and Honey just about succeeded a smile.

Hikaru came back with a nurse, pushing a hospital bed. She placed it next to the one Kaoru and I were sitting on, this was Kaoru's bed. Mine was on the other side of this one so that would put Kaoru in the middle, me on his left and Hikaru on his right.

"You've had a long night so I think we're going to leave." Kyouya sighed and gestured to everyone to join him.
"Get well soon." Haruhi smiled and gave us each a hug. Everyone said their goodbyes and I was more than ready to go to bed.

The mattress was solid but I didn't care. All I wanted was to go to sleep by Kaoru's side. And I did with our fingers together over the gap between the beds. Don't even get me started in the nightmares I had that night...