Chapter Twenty Four

I insisted on sleeping on my own the night I was at their house. I just couldn't accept Kaoru being so nice to me after what I did.

I felt sore and empty whenever I saw him, I couldn't get out of their house quick enough. It was physically impossible for me to put up with it.

At least at school, it was a little easier to blend in. We were at the school notice board where the front page of the school newspaper was pinned.

Everyone who was there last night was in at least one picture. I guess it isn't as humiliating if everyone was scared beyond belief.

"So you're really a fraidy cat, yet you went with the tournament anyway?" Kurokano smiled to Class Rep.
"Uh, yeah... sure." He replied emotionlessly.
"That's so sweet of you." Her smile grew bigger and if I'm not mistaken, there was a spark between them.

"Look at that." Kaoru pointed at the two. "I guess the spell doesn't last forever after all."
"What?" Hikaru grunted.
"...Since you ran to me, it looks like we're okay for now." He replied.
"Huh?" Hikaru repeated.

"Nothing, just my own joke." Kaoru said quickly and hurried Haruhi and Hikaru in front of him. He let go part way and just... Watched them.

I get it now! It's not just the club ending that he's afraid of, it's losing his brother. That's it, I have to tell him like, now or he's going to lose both of us.

"You okay, Kaoru?" I asked softly and snapping him out of his daydream.
"Yeah, are you?" He replied.
"Um, sure." I shrugged.
"You're not. You barely spoke to me last night." He questioned. "You're hiding something.

I hung my head and massaged my eyes. There's no way I'm going to get around this. I have no choice but to tell him now.
"Fine, but not here." I said.
"Where then?" He asked.
"The club, while it's not open." I replied and he nodded. I guess this is it.

The music room looked really weird when there wasn't any one else there. No girls or hosting kinda set the mood of awkwardness.
"So what's this about?" He asked.
"Just promise me you won't freak out or get too upset." I began. "And I promise I'm going to be completely honest, no breath of a lie."

"You're starting to worry me now." He said shakily.
"I kissed Hikaru." I blurted out. It went a lot more subtle in my head.
"You what?" He replied. He looked at me like I just slapped him.

"I'm sorry, I'm really sorry." I begged on the verge of crying. "I swear, it meant nothing but pity, I swear on Rinda's grave, I swear on everyone's grave." Kaoru looked away and frowned, searching for the right words.

"Y'know, I thought you liked me. I thought you were willing to be my girlfriend one day." He replied, also very close to crying.
"I do! I really do... Just let me explain." I said and I didn't expect it but he sat down on one of the couches.
"I'm all ears."

"Hikaru came over to my house, saying he knew about Rinda and what happened." I said but Kaoru just looked more confused.
"How did he know about her?" He asked.

"It accidentally slipped out when we were at the café."

"Café?"

"He didn't tell you? He took me on an ice skating date." I asked, a little confused.
"You went on a date with him?!" He yelled, now I was really scared.
"Yes, it was quite a while ago."

"How long ago?"

"About a month."

"And you said yes and didn't tell me?!"

"I thought you knew, please stop yelling at me!" I cried, tears were now shedding. "I tried passing Rinda off as an old friend who I lost contact with." I continued with my explanation. "He tried researching her so we could meet but found out who she really was." We were now back on track, thank God.

"I got angry... Really angry and ran out the house. He followed me, apologised then..."

"Then?"

"Then he confessed that he liked me, 'madly in love' in fact. I rejected him and... I've never seen him so sad and heartbroken."

"So you kissed him?"

"I remembered at the karaoke that he never had his first kiss. I just felt really, horribly bad for him and... It was stupid, I'll regret doing it to the day I die." I was going on about it like I slept with him. I don't know how I'd live with myself if I did.

Kaoru looked calmer than he was before but if you know him as well as I do, you'd know that wouldn't be enough. "It meant absolutely nothing, I'll defend that to the ends of the earth."

"You promise there is nothing untrue in that." He asked and I felt like I could fly. He was starting to forgive me!
"Cross my heart." I said and wiped away my final tears.
"I'll forgive and forget if you you this one favour for me." He said.

"Anything. Anything you want." I nodded.
"Go out with me. Be my girlfriend." He replied without any moment of hesitation.
"Are you serious?" I asked, taken back from the shock.
"Only if you are." He smiled and stood up.

"Yes I will." I smiled and ran into him for a hug. "Thank you." He hugged me back and kissed the top of my head.
"Just don't do anything like that again." He said.
"You have my word." I smiled and hurried my face in his shoulder, absorbing his warmth and fragrance.

"There's a cool restaurant downtown. Do you want to go with me?" He asked softly.
"I'd love to." I replied. Okay, new problem in my dilemma, what am I going to wear?

Awe, I loved writing these past few chapters. Dedicated to one of my favourite episodes in all of anime and I gotta ask: Who do you ship Risa with? Are you happy she ended up with Kaoru or would you have preferred for her to be with Hikaru?

The story isn't over yet so keep your eye out for more updates, thanks again for reading and thank you for making it this far. I hope I haven't tortured you too much with my crappy writing xx