Chapter Twenty Nine

The funeral was held in a church on the other side of town. Kaoru and I were dressed in all black, other than our casts. I saw his wife and children in the front while we were more in the middle.

Six men carried the pine coffin down the isle and onto the podium. All of which were tearing up or were at least close to.
"Friends, family." The vicar began once everyone was settled. "We are here to celebrate the life of Taku Shou. Son, Brother, Husband and Father..."

The service was slow. The entire building was filled with sadness and greif by all friends and relatives. What's weird is that, this is the first funeral I've ever been to.

I don't think Rinda even had a funeral. The last time I saw her was when her dead body was wheeled into the ambulance the night she died. I couldn't say 'She's my sister' in Arabic so they didn't let me ride with her. I never saw her face again.

"It's alright to cry, you know." Kaoru said softly, cupping my fingers that were sticking out my cast.
"As sad as this is, it's not what I'm upset about." I sighed and wiped a tear from my eye.
"Then what? You can tell me." He said.
"Rinda. She never even had a funeral. I don't know where she's buried or even if she was buried." I tried to say without sulking or not loud enough for people to hear.

Kaoru placed my head on his shoulder and rubbed my arm for comfort. I'm no believer in God or a heaven but the way the vicar introduced them into his speech was kinda clever. He didn't exactly mention 'God' but prayed that someone will look after him. It was a really sweet send off all in all.

After the service, people gathered in a nearby building for refreshments and to say comforting things to each other. It was quiet, just a mumble of different voices settled around the room.
"Yuki! Yuki, where are you?!" A woman's voice called above everyone else's. It was Taku's wife, the woman with the children.

It appeared she had lost her daughter, apparently named Yuki.
"I'm going to check at the church." Said Kaoru, slowly backing out the door.
"I'll come with you." I replied and followed him to the church.

She wasn't in the building so we checked the graveyard. Poor girl, she was by her father's grave, kneeling at his foot and throwing flower petals over him.
"Yuki?" I called out to her softly. She looked up, but for only a moment before looking down.

"Yuki, you're mommy is looking for you." Kaoru sat cross legged on the ground with her, setting his crutches beside him.
"My daddy died." She said quietly.
"I know, we were there. Remember us at the hospital?" He asked her. She looked at him and nodded.

"Before the car hit us, he told me you were a big fan of Yuzuha Hitachiin." He smiled. She nodded again a little more enthusiastically. "Do you know who I am?" She looked at him for a moment then shook her head.

"I'm one of her sons, Kaoru." He smiled and the Yuki's eyes widened and looked at him again like a bell rung in her head. "She wanted me to give you this-" Kaoru searched inside his coat pocket and found the piece of paper, Yuzuha signed.

The girl's face lit up exceedingly when she saw the familiar signature. "She couldn't give it to you herself because people would take lots of pictures and today is about your daddy, not her."

The girl nodded again, understanding. One of the most attractive things in a guy is how good he is with kids and seeing this, I'd be jealous of myself if we had children.

Yuki flung her arms around him in happiness, almost sending Kaoru to fall backwards.
"Thank you." She smiled.
"You're welcome. She also said she's very sorry for what happened." He said and the girl slowly removed herself to look back at the gravestone.

"C'mon. Your mommy must be worried sick." Kaoru grunted as he tried to stand up. Yuki stood up with him and stayed very close as we walked back. It was really sweet how close she felt towards Kaoru already. How only a pep talk can make someone smile, even on their worst days.

"We found her." I announced when we returned to the gathering.
"Yuki!" Her mother yelled. You can't blame her for being worried, especially on today of all days.

The two were ranting about her running off so Kaoru and I thought we should leave about then. Unexpectedly, someone stopped us before we could.
"Thank you so much for coming." It was the mother.
"Our pleasure." I nodded.
"I know we barely know each other but... You coming made me feel a whole lot better." She smiled, tears threatening to shed.

"We are genuinely sorry. We found Yuki by her father's grave so it must be hard for her." Kaoru smiled and nodded. "I'm sure he was a terrific father."
"He was. He really was and I'm so glad that you were there with him." She said. "I don't know what I'd think if you weren't there to call for help."

"You're very welcome." I bowed. We had a little more of a chat before we had to go home. Even though today was one if the most saddest days I've ever taken part in, it really made my day to see the family smile.