Phoenix Diamond

Chapter 3 is up. I hope you will enjoy this chapter :)
Votes and comments are welcome!

Location: Columbus, Ohio.

"So I'll see you tomorrow OK Phoenix?" a girl said while walking away.

"Yeah, see you Chelsea." he waved to her.

He was walking to the job center, he had to find a part time work so that he could pay for his studies. He walked to a building with a large sign that said 'Columbus Job Center' he opened the door and entered. He went to a desk where a clerk was sitting, a woman in her late years, she looked up and smiled when she saw him.

"Hello young man. How may I help you?" she asked with a gentle smile.

Phoenix smiled back "Hi, I wanna sign up here so I can find a part time job." he explained.

She nodded and opened an application on the computer and asked for his identity card.

Phoenix pulled out his wallet and took out his identity card and gave it to her.

"Phoenix Diamond is it?" she asked while writing it on the computer.

"Yes." Phoenix nodded while looking around the room seeing other people speaking to other clerks. Other people were sitting on the computers looking for work which was very hard to find.

"How old are you Phoenix?" she asked.

"I'm 19 years old." he answered but was confused at the same time. His birthday was written on the id card, he sighed while shaking his head, some people were too lazy.

It took quite some time for her to fill the application when she asked him again "What would you like to work with?"

"Anything actually. Whatever job you can find but if you can find something that consist of working with animals, that would be great. I'm going to study to become a veterinary so it would be helpful." Phoenix explained.

The clerk looked impressed as she entered it in the application and continued writing. Phoenix stood by her silent waiting for her to finish.

"Phoenix Diamond..." a soft voice whispered through the air.

Phoenix looked around and looked at the clerk "Excuse me? Did you just say my name?" he asked.

The clerk looked at him weirdly "No...This will take a little time, you can sit down on the chair and I will call your name." she smiled and pointed towards the cheap looking orange plastic chairs.

Phoenix nodded and walked away but not before giving her a brief glare. He sat down on the uncomfortable chairs with a deep sigh.

"Phoenix Diamond...I have chosen you for a very important mission." the voice spoke.

Phoenix jumped in surprise, he looked around but nobody was looking at him to even have spoke his voice. Besides, the only one who knew his name was the clerk and she was still writing his application. The voice that spoke sounded male so it couldn't be her messing with his mind.

If he spoke now to himself, they would think he's crazy! Should he speak in his mind? That sounds even more crazy than talking aloud.

After telling the clerk, he walked to the bathroom and walked inside the booth.

"Good work Phoenix. No one should listen to our conversation." the voice sounded pleased.

"Who are you? A ghost?" Phoenix mumbled quietly.

"No, I am not a ghost Phoenix. I am an ancient spirit and I am here because we chose you for a very special mission and I expect you to accept it." the spirit explained.

"OK..." Phoenix felt very unsure but he should at least listen, maybe what this 'spirit' spoke was important.

"Your world is in grave danger Phoenix. Five evil people with powers is planning to take over this country and if they succeed, they will take over the whole world. They are very violent and vicious and they will not stop at any cause. If anyone stands in their way, they will kill them without any remorse." the spirit spoke sending chills down Phoenix back.

"W-What? When has all of this happened?" he spoke in a scared voice.

"It has not happened yet but it will very soon. They will attack harshly and you will be surprised with how cruel they are." the spirit spoke seriously.

"Why are you talking to me then? What did you say before? That you have chosen me for this mission? How can I defeat them by myself? There's five of them with powers you say!" Phoenix screamed but shut up fast, he stood up on the toilet seat and looked over the booth wall to ensure that no one heard him.

He hopped down and sat down on the toilet while hiding his face in his hands.

"Phoenix...I know this seems very hard to understand but I did not say that you would stand against them alone. We will summon four other people that will help you and we will also give you very special powers and if you work together, you will be able to defeat them." the spirit promised while speaking in a gentle voice.

Phoenix raised his head from his shaking hands while drawing a shaky breath. This was scary but at the same time - if they had chosen him for this mission, how could he refuse it, especially if it meant saving the world from these evil people that he knew nothing about.

"I will do it spirit. I can't watch the world going under, I will fight them with all the power I have and I promise to do my best!" Phoenix promised while nodding but his mouth was a downward bow.

"I knew you would accept Phoenix. I have seen your heart Phoenix, it is very pure and you are the best person for this mission." the spirit's voice faded away.

Someone knocked on the door to the booth. Phoenix jumped in surprise, he opened the door quickly and found the clerk standing with her arms crossed and a scowl on her face.

"Mr. Diamond, where did you go? I have waited for over ten minutes! I have other people to tend to, you know." she spoke irritated.

"Sorry...it just took time to...finish." Phoenix excused himself with a deep blush as he walked out of the booth with the clerk following him.

He went with her to the desk as she spoke to him about available jobs and their contacts, along with their addresses and phone numbers but all Phoenix could think about now was the spirit's words and the five evil people planning on taking over the world. He sighed heavily and focused on the clerk's annoying voice as she explained everything.