Chapter 14

The next day was... normal, I guess. Fiyero was surrounded by beautiful girls as usual and I just awkwardly sat there on the picnic bench eating my breakfast sandwich. Galinda was in our dorm room 'sick' and I had to come back here on my own.

During history, I heard the girls who were with Fiyero giggling. Then I felt something hit me in the head. The girls laughed. I quickly looked behind me, it was a paper ball. Then I felt someone kick my seat. I turned around, "What?"

"Fiyero wants you to open it," the boy who was behind me chuckled.

I grumbled and opened up the crumbled paper. It was a note.

I'm sorry about the girls and my attitude, Elphaba. Give me a chance to explain it to you after class in the courtyard right off campus. I promise it's nothing bad and that I won't hurt you.
       ~Fiyero

"You don't know how much you already have," I mumbled then shoved the paper in my pocket.

After class, I saw the girls that were with Fiyero walk to their next class and Fiyero walked away. I immediately looked away before he saw me.

Once I was sure he was gone, I started walking again. I knew I would probably regret it but I went to the courtyard where Fiyero wanted me to meet him.

I walked into the courtyard and saw no one but a guy in an overcoat and an old hat. He looked at me. His blue eyes seemed very familiar. Fiyero. Why was he dressed up in that? He took off his hat. "Elphaba," he smiled, "you came." He came up and kissed me.

I pushed him away in shock. "Why are you doing this?" I asked.

"Because I love you," he replied.

"Do you really? Because it seemed to me that you loved those girls who were with you earlier. You can't have every girl, Fiyero. And if you really are telling the truth and you really do want me, then stop leading them on. But if you don't want me, which I'm sure you don't after what I saw, and you prefer those girls, then stop leading me on! What sucks the most is that you actually made me believe that I could be loved and false hope is the worst feeling of all... but I don't think you would know that considering what you have." I turned around to leave but Fiyero grabbed my arm and made me face him.

"Elphaba, I really do love you and I'm not trying to lead the other girls on. Believe me, it annoys me when they follow me everywhere but unfortunately I can't hide the fact that I'm a prince from them. Stop doubting that someone can love you... because I do."

"So why are you wearing all that?" I asked looking at his getup. "Because you didn't want to be seen with me?"

"No," he answered, "because I didn't want anyone following me. I wanted this moment alone with you."

"Then look me in the eyes and tell me what you feel, don't lie to me."

He looked me in the eyes, "I love you," he said softly. I searched his eyes for any doubt and found none. He pulled me into a passionate kiss that lasted what felt like hours.

He took off his overcoat to reveal his normal attire then took my hand. "Come on," he said, "I'll take you back to your dorm."

"Are you sure?" I asked. "You're not worried about your 'reputation'?"

"No, don't you get it, Elphaba?" He asked. "I don't care about my ozdamned reputation... not as long as I have you."

I smiled gently, "Ok."

He held a tight grip on my hand and we started walking back towards campus. The entire time we got stares from others. Some even shouted, "Who dared you, Fiyero?" Or "How much is she paying you?"

It wasn't until Avaric spoke up when Fiyero actually said something. "Fiyero, what in Oz are you doing with the Artichoke?" Avaric asked

"Well, Avaric," Fiyero said, "Elphaba here is my girlfriend."

Girlfriend?!

"Girlfriend?" Avaric asked shocked but soon started to laugh. "Alright, Fiyero, who dared you?"

"No one," he answered. "I love her."

Love?!

Avaric laughed, "What ever you say." He started to leave but not before pushing me to the ground, "See you later Artichoke!"

Immediately Fiyero grabbed him by his shirt collar and forcefully pulled him back. "Touch her again or call her any cruel names, I swear to Oz, I will personally end your life. Understood?"

Avaric wasn't that tall nor muscular at least not compared to Fiyero so it would seem fit that Avaric was terrified since Fiyero grabbed him. And that's exactly how it was. "O-ok," Avaric stuttered. "I-I won't..." Fiyero let him go and Avaric ran back to his dorm.

"Sorry about him," Fiyero said as he helped me up. "He's al-"

I interrupted him with a kiss wrapping my arms around his neck. Feeling him kiss me back and pull me closer by wrapping his arms around me caused me to smile as we kissed.

As we pulled away, I saw pretty much half the school watching us shocked. I looked up at Fiyero and he quickly pulled me in the direction of my dorm not wanting to deal with more crowds.

Before long the same group of girls from earlier came up to flirt with Fiyero. Right away, I started getting angry, "Girls, he isn't in the mood. Stop crowding around him."

"Ooooh, is the Artichoke Fiyero's bodyguard now?" One girl asked.

"I think she's just jealous that we actually have a chance with him," another said.

That's it! I pushed them out of the way, grabbed Fiyero's face, and kissed him again. I heard them gasp which made me kiss him with more force. He wrapped his arm around me and we soon pulled back. "Good day, ladies," Fiyero said as we walked past them with his arm still wrapped tightly around my waist. I giggled as we kept walking. Now who's jealous?