Chapter 9: Impede

Again, this book is in editing, so if the storyline doesn't add up totally, I apologize. I have changed Danielle's name to Sophia, please read this to avoid any confusion.

Status: Edited

Ashley P.O.V.

Sunlight burns my eyes as soon as a yawn leaves my lips, and they squint at the rays shining through the darkly lit room. Blue walls surround me, and cold air engulfs me, not wanting to move from the warm and comfortable place I am.

Where is that exactly?

Small cracking sounds as I sit up, and I realize it isn't coming from my back, but the crackling fire only a feet away from the couch I've been laid on. Dark lurks outside, and the atmosphere feels warmer, giving off a homey vibe.

"Rise and shine, sleepyhead." A deep voice sounds from the right, and it's way too cheerful for just waking up. My eyes haze over my childhood best friend and my eyebrows furrow.

"What am I- wait how did I get here in the first place- what happened?" Accusation is thick in my voice and he looks at me with some form of amusement.

"It's funny how when you're drunk you tend to remember things, but when you are sober you never do. Do you have some kind of inverse talent I haven't been informed of?" He chuckles and passes me a glass water. The cool water soothes my throat as I sip and gaze around the room, realizing I am in his mothers house, hopefully she isn't home. "Don't worry she isn't. She and Nana went on a cruise to the Bahamas."

"You always seem to know exactly what I'm thinking." I cock my head at him and run my fingers over the top of the glass, smiling at how it forms. "But seriously, how did I get here?"

"Uh, I brought you here. You were just upset." He fumbles with his fingers and doesn't make eye contact with me, trying to avoid it at all costs. Why?

"That's it?" A look of disbelief and relief washes over my face, afraid that I might have done something horrible.

"Yeah, we ran into each other and I just wanted to help. Just like old times..." He picks at the red blanket I've had thrown over my legs, and nervously draws out his words. Is there something he isn't telling me? "Why were you upset?"

"Just some things." I shrug and start to pick at the blanket too, nonchalantly. "Uh, Harry and I we- we broke up."

I gulp down the words and my cheeks heat up at the small confession, embarrassed that only a month later the relationship has ended so badly since I've seen Fabion. His face turns solemn and he throws an arm around my shoulder, and I lean into his embrace. Its been too long, and his cologne smells like pine and honey, creating an intoxicating smell. A home smell.

A smell that you want to come home to.

"I'm sorry that has happened. I had no idea and if I did I would have stopped-" He sucks in a harsh breath and places his hand on mine when I gaze into his eyes. "N-Never mind. Bottom line is, if it was his fault, whatever he did is horrible and he lost one of the best things he's had in his life."

"He's a pop star, I don't think he cares. He has way better things to worry about." I chuckle, but my own thinking makes my chest tighten.

He really doesn't care, does he?

"And for the record, we broke up because of what happened at the club a month ago." I say quietly and his hand on mine comforts me.

"But that was a month ago? You broke up... a month ago?"

"No, we broke up a few days ago," I fumble with my words and his eyes are full of confusion. Me too. "It's complicated."

"When are things not complicated for you, Ash?"