20. Abby

I'm running down the hall along with Alyssa. They just announced that the new softball team this year is posted on the school's news board. Both Alyssa and I could barely wait through our first period class, so as soon as the bell rang, we jetted out of the class.

We both round the corner to see other people from tryouts looking for their name on the sheet. We push our way to the front of the crowd to get a better look at the sheet. I immediately begin to scan the sheet, looking for my name. I see Alyssa's name on the sheet and I'm happy that she made it. I also see Virginia's name and Carmen's name on the sheet and I mentally groan. My eyes keep going down the list and second to last, there's my name. A huge grin takes over my features and I turn around to see Alyssa with the same expression.

I wrap my arms around her and hug her. "We made the team, babe!" I smile.

"We should celebrate. Go out tonight or something." She says.

We start to walk back towards our next class, letting other people see if they made the team or not.

"What did you have in mind?" I ask.

"Um, how about we go out to The Grill? A bunch of jocks and what not are meeting up there. I'm sure Jordan will be there. Daniel invited me." She says.

"Daniel invited you? What's up with you two?" I ask with an accusing smile.

"I don't know. Hopefully he'll gain the courage to ask me out soon. He's so cute and I really like him." She smiles.
"Then we could double date." I say, excitedly.

She laughs, "Calm down. Nothing is official, yet. Anyways, are you joining me at The Grill or not?"

"I suppose I will." I smile.

"Abby." I turn my head to see Stephen standing there.

Did he mean to call my name? He's standing there like he wants something. I thought he would never speak to me again. I finally find my voice and speak.

"Yeah?" I question.

"Could I talk to you for a moment? In private. If you don't mind?" He asks.

He's still as sweet as can be. "Um, sure."

I wave goodbye to Alyssa before going off to the side with Stephen. I feel nervous all of a sudden and I don't know why. It's just Stephen. We dated before. We were friends at one point in time, so why does it feel like I'm talking to a stranger?

He plays with the ends of his backpack straps as he thinks of what to say. I'm not sure if I'm ready for what he's about to say.

He clears his throat, "Abby, I want to apologize to you. I've been a jerk lately and that's not me. I guess I was really hurt, but that's no excuse. Anyways, my behavior at that party was..." He takes a deep breath. "Unacceptable. I really am sorry."

"I forgive you, Stephen. I was the one who kind of led you on. I did some terrible things and I really want to apologize, too." I say.

"You don't have to apologize. I get it. I was hoping that offer of being friends still stood?" He smiles.

I laugh lightly, "I would really like to be friends. We have too much in common not to be friends."

"I agree. I also just wanted to congratulate you on making the softball team and to give you this." He pulls out a book from his backpack and hands it to me.

I look at the cover of the book and gasp. It's Don't Die, My Love. I look up at him and he's giving me a small smile, taking in my expression. He remembered. I'm shocked.