ı 02 ı The Calling

∞

"Starting from zero, got nothing to lose"

THE VOICE comes closer and closer, growing louder and louder which each yell. The voice doesn't stop, assuring me that my mind is not playing tricks.

The voice matches Damon's perfectly, resembling it like a reflection in a mirror if that were possible. But that's not possible, because Damon should be dead. However, if Damon really is here, than that means I'm not really dead. Or maybe I am dead, and Damon is too. Maybe we're in hell together. That would explain why he kept yelling Katherine's name. If anyone was going to hell, it was Katherine Pierce.

"Katherine? Katherine!" Damon shouts over and over.

No one responds, partly because we can't. I can't even open my eyes let alone open my mouth. I feel strained, like a stone or a statue, plastered into a specific form.

Despite no response, Damon keeps yelling, the sound so piercing in the dark cave that I feel as if my ears are bleeding. His voice echoes loudly, over and over until he suddenly stops.

His footsteps are no longer audible, nor his cry for Katherine's name. I highly doubt Katherine is in this place; Katherine Pierce is too smart for that as much as I hate to admit it.

If she was in this place, it was because she wanted to be in here, and I highly doubt she would want to feel this pain. Katherine only did what Katherine wanted, all to make sure she was satisfied.

As soon as Damon stops yelling her name, the spark of hope inside of me demolishes, extinguishing in a split second making me feel silly for ever thinking I would actually get out of this place.

That is until I start to hear movement. It's not Damon moving, but rather people around me. Moans erupt from all sides of me, making me envy the way they could all move their lips. Not only can I hear movement, but I can smell blood. I haven't smelt blood in a long time, but the feeling of rush it gives me never seems to disappoint.

After a few minutes of people moaning and moving around me, I start to feel scared; what if no one comes back for me? I fear I'll be left behind, stripped of any freedom to live my life again while everyone else walks free.

Just as I start to convince myself that I'm not getting out of here, the bag that's placed over my head is ripped off in one harsh and swift movement, making my hair frizz up and sprawl across my face.

A straw is forced between my lips as warm blood enters my mouth waking me up instantly like water splashed on a fish out of water. The blood is the spark that wakes up my body, making me feel alive. More blood fills the straw, flowing down my throat in a satisfying rhythm. The blood reaches my veins, sending a warm feeling down my arms and legs giving me the strength to move.

I wiggle my toes and flex my fingers before opening my eyes for the first time in what feels like a long time. In between the strands of hair that cover my eyes, I see a familiar vampire, one who accompanied me in this place; my saviour who has brought me back to life.

It's Pearl.

I attempt to open my lips to speak, but they're still stiff as if sealed with glue.

Pearl only smiles at me before squeezing more blood through the straw. Once I begin sucking up air however, Pearl pulls the bag away from my face.

It's been so long since I've spoken that I fear I may not even have a voice. I cannot even recall what my own voice sounds like.  

"Pearl?" I croak, my voice sounding rustic and raspy.

She smiles and cups my face, bringing me in for a hug.

"How, what? How are we alive?" I wince at the sound of my voice. I hate how it sounds so frail, so fragile.

Pearl pulls away from the hug, her glassy eyes glued to mine. "My daughter, Anna. She saved us, unsealed the tomb and set us free," she replies, her hand still enfolded with mine.

I furrow my brows in confusion at her words, trying to comprehend what she just said.

Tomb? 

That's the first time I've heard of that.

I mean, I figured we were in some sort of cave or locked room, but a tomb? That meant we were underground, concealed from the outside world.

Pearls daughter, Anna, suddenly appears behind her mother giving me a small smile. I force a faint smile back, nodding my head stiffly as a thank you.

My mind seems to be more concerned with where Damon has gone.

"What about my brother Damon? Did he help us escape?" I look around, searching through the darkened space.

When Pearl doesn't respond, I turn to face her only to realize her face is composed of sympathy- a look I hate to see. I don't like when people feel bad for me, nor do I appreciate when people underestimate my strength to compose my emotions. Some used to say that I didn't have emotions, because frankly I don't. It's not that I don't feel, but rather I choose not to show it, as simply I don't know how; they make me awkward and weird.

It's a trait Damon and I share; the inability to express our emotions. It was both a blessing and a curse.

"Your brother was never here darling. You must have been imagining it," Pearl says gently, but something about the way her eyes don't quite meet mine causes me to suspect something more.

"No," I shake my head adamantly. "He was here a few minutes ago. I heard his voice." I argue rather stubbornly.

"That's not possible. Your brother is long dead." Pearl finally meets my eyes, her glare hard as a rock. It appears we're both just as stubborn.

I begin to feel my weakened heart beat faster, my palms sweat and my breathing quicken. "No, that can't be, I-"

"Hey, if we want to get out of here then we should go now. The spell that unseals the tomb won't be down for much longer," Pearls daughter Anna says, cutting me off. She seems more than eager to change the topic, only encouraging the suspicion I feel growing inside me.

"Okay." I comply, not in the mood to start arguing right after waking up.

Pearl offers me her hand, and I hesitantly take it before stretching out my legs and arms, similar to what I would do after waking up in the morning. I haven't stood on my feet for what feels like forever.

Suddenly, yelling erupts from the back of the tomb, an angry group of vampires riling each other up. They focus their attention to the exit of the tomb, shouting curses and threats to the council that put us here as they storm through the tiny passageway.

They appear rather violent, and something I don't want to be a part of.

"Guys, we have to go now. It's turning night, and the council knows the tomb has been opened again," Anna warns frantically, her worry radiating off to me.

Pearl nods before grabbing my wrist, forcing me to follow them out of the tomb.

We sprint past the other vampires who were coming out of their slumber, only to be greeted by chaos outside the tomb. Vampires speed around, bullets flying through the air as absolute chaos has erupted between the council and the tomb vampires in the middle of the night.

Pearl and Anna release me from their grasp during all the mayhem, leaving me standing alone in the middle of a full on war.

________________________________________

Please vote, share and comment!

[completed & edited: 08/24/17]