ı 19 ı Not all Dogs are Friendly

"Sticks and stones may break my bones"

MY HEAD SPINS around a million miles an hour as my mind races to beat the vervain which soon wears off. I open my eyes, wincing at the flickering light above me as my skin shivers from the cold, hard floor I lay on.

I sit up, looking into the eyes of my kidnapper; Jules stands in front of me with a male beside her. They both reek of wolf, something I'm quite familiar with.

"Who are you? If I'm in a position to ask questions. It's been a while since I've been in this kind of position," I say, sitting straight against the cage I'm in.

"You've been in hostage positions before?" the male says, wearing an amused smirk.

"That's enough," Jules says. "You're Blair Salvatore, correct?"

I narrow my eyes, wondering if I should lie or not. Truth is they probably know who I am anyways so there's no point really. "Yes."

"I would hate to be related to dumb and dumber," the man snickers.

"What's your name?" I ask him.

"Brady," he says.

"Well, Brady, I would hate to be a dog like you. You smell, you're lame, and you only really get to be dangerous like once a month. Sounds more like a woman to me than an actual threat," I tease.

Brady stands and goes for the cage but Jules holds him back. "Hit a soft spot have I? C'mon, you just wish you were a vampire like me."

"We were created to destroy monsters like you!" he says.

"Alright, alright. She's just pretending not to be scared. Why don't you go grab the blonde outside and we'll really see what she's made of?" Jules instructs Brady.

Blonde?

Seconds later Brady comes back inside the small trailer with an unconscious Caroline in his arms. My eyes go wide and I shake the cage, suddenly becoming very protective. "Leave her out of this!" I growl.

Jules shoots something out of a small gun into my shoulder, sending me flying to the back of the cage in pain. I groan, unable to move as she opens the door to allow Brady to throw Caroline in with me. I roll her over, checking for any wounds but she's just unconscious from vervain. I pick out the wooden bullet in my arm and throw it back at them. "She didn't do anything, she's innocent. Let her go and I'll tell you anything you want!"

Jules stands there with a devilish smile on her lips. "You don't have anything we want. But there are people who want you alive which is why we're keeping you two here as leverage."

I simply laugh at her, realizing that she's using me to get to my brothers. "You really picked the wrong Salvatore," I say. "You picked the younger sister of two vampire brothers who just got their sister back? Good luck dealing with them when they come for me."

"Just be lucky you're not dead yet," she fires back. "Shoot her if she does anything dumb, and keep the cage locked. She is a Salvatore, after all," she tells Brady.

With no reason, Brady fires another shot into me one after another until I eventually fall unconscious from the pain.

∆ ∆ ∆

I wake up once again in the same place but this time accompanied by a pounding headache. It's rather rare for a vampire to acquire a headache, but as I feel for the bullet half lodged in my forehead, it all makes sense.