ı 39 ı Aftermath

"We could feel the poison set in"

MY EARS ARE stuffed with cotton, my eyes are blurry with tears and my mind is blank, frozen in time.

I fall to my knees seconds after Elijah disappears from the cliff, everything else becoming a blur.

We were minutes, seconds away from getting everything back. From getting my memories back, to finally eliminating James and Elijah's obsession with Klaus. To finally having things return back to normal.

But it was gone. Torn right from my fingertips, right in front of me and there wasn't a thing I could do to stop it.

I had been confident that I would leave tonight with some understanding of my past, my mind filled with the memories that had been robbed from me. But instead, I'm stuck standing here, feeling as if everything is just a dream.

All I had wanted when I got out of the tomb was to get my life back. After I found out my memories were gone, I set that as my goal. It gave me purpose to keep living despite the flashes and haunting memories that terrorize me every night in my sleep.

I feel the pressure of a hand on my shoulder, but I don't move. It's if every muscle in my body has shut down, refusing to move. My mind is filled with a thousand emotions and thoughts, making it impossible to focus.

I thought I was unbreakable, that I was stronger than this. Now I am not so sure.

Stefan bends down in front of me, and waves a hand in front of my face trying to bring me back to reality. His whole face is a blur, but slowly all the pieces come together like a picture loading. His face comes into clear view, and I am able to hear everything around me.

"Blair?" he says gently. His brows are furrowed in concern, and his eyes are filled with tears. I can see a dried trail of water down his cheek.

"We have to get out of here," Stefan says quietly.

I stare off in the distance, not meeting Stefan's eyes as I talk to myself.

"He-he, he was right here. He was right here Steff, and he got away," I say, my voice raspy as the tears take over. The pressure building up behind my eyes disappears as I let it all out, crying uncontrollably. I cry the hardest I have in a long time.

"They're all gone," I whisper, feeling my body start to tremble.

I fall backwards despite Stefan's attempt to keep me up, my body limp as it falls backwards to the ground. I cry so hard that it hurts.

My chest shakes and I begin to make weird noises as my body lets everything out. Everything from what Katherine did to me, my father, my mother, the tomb, and my memories. Everything flows out at once in the form of tears.

Stefan doesn't talk as he hugs me, wrapping a supportive arm around my back to keep me from shaking too much.

"I know, Blair, I know. This isn't the end okay? Let's go home," he says, standing up and pulling me along with him.

When I stand up I find myself standing in front of James, an expression of pure hurt and pain on his face, his eyes resembling that of a sad puppy. His hair if ruffled, blowing in the wind that drifts between us.

I walk towards him out of instinct as I don't know what else to do, finding myself in his arms.

As he wraps his arms around my back, I cry out even more, my sobs quiet as they're muffled by  James's chest. Out of all the people here, I know James understands my pain the most. He was so close to killing Klaus, and his own friend betrayed him.