ı 34 ı Dancing to Survive

"Been in the dark for weeks, and I've realized you're all I need"

WE STAND OUTSIDE the doors of the school, just staring at the building. All of us are nervous, feeling utterly unprepared for what we're about to walk into.

I know that something is going down tonight, good or bad. Perhaps I'll come out with new memories, or maybe I'll come out dead. Who knows?

"You think he's in there?" I ask.

"Let's go find out shall we?" Stefan says, grabbing Elena's hand. I take in one last deep breath before walking through the doors into the school.

The lights are bright and the music is deafening. I can't believe I'm here right now. I'm honestly not quite sure why I am here at a high school dance that is sure to contain the biggest and baddest vampire around. I would much rather be in the comfort of my own bed.

My mind is hazy as we enter the swarm of people who are all dressed in 60's clothes. I find a spot in the middle of the gym where there is enough room for us to stand without being bumped by other smelly teenagers.

I look around nervously to see if there is anyone suspicious around, but I don't even know what I'm looking for exactly. Everyone here looks new to me, except for Damon and Alaric who I spot on the sidelines from the dance floor, eyeing the crowd just like me.

"Thank you everyone for coming tonight!" a girl from the stage shouts into a microphone.

I turn towards her as does everyone else, the music no longer playing. I look more closely at her and recognize her as the girl from the cafeteria today who told us Klaus would be here. I gulp, scared as to what she is going to say.

"I would like to give a shout out right now. This one is for Elena, from the one and only Klaus!" she cheers.

Everyone starts clapping, but all the noise just becomes a blur to me. I feel a hand on my shoulder and look over to see James. His lips are moving but I can't hear what he's saying. My mind is too blurry, too fearful to focus on anything right now.

Damon suddenly appears in front of me and slaps me across the face, not too hard, but pretty forcefully. At his sudden action my mind suddenly wakes up and focuses again as the noises around me process through my brain. The ringing in my ears disappears and I'm brought back to reality.

"Did you really have to do that?" James asks angrily from beside me, his hand still on my shoulder.

"It worked. Brought her back from la la land," Damon says as I glare at him.

"That was a stupid move of Klaus. Coward for not showing his face," Damon says.

"How do you know he's not here?" Elena asks, her eyes wide with fear as she searches the crowd. "I know everyone here."

"James?" Stefan asks.

"No, he's not here. I don't see him," James says, looking around one last time.

"Maybe he just wants us to think he's here," Stefan suggests.

"Yeah, maybe," James says, although I can tell he thinks Klaus is here. He is the one who knows him the best and I trust him. The uncertainty in his response is not reassuring in the slightest.

"Blair, are you okay?" James asks me, noticing how quiet I am.

I sigh. "Yeah, I just want to see his face. Are you okay?" It is after all his old friend that is suppose to be here, so I can only imagine the anxiety he is feeling right now.