ı 13 ı Wolf Encounters

"I tried my best to be guarded; I'm an open book instead"

I'M FULLY engulfed in darkness when suddenly the pain begins to shine through, bringing me out of the deep, dark thoughts in my mind as my eyes open wide, staring at nothing but a rock ceiling.

The sight of a rock ceiling reminds me of the tomb, causing me to breathe faster, desperate for air as once again flashes flood my mind. The screams, cries, pain, desperation, panic, and fear all shoved in my head at once, but are cut off as a gunshot rings in the distance.

The bullet hits my leg, causing me to jump and cry out in pain, but I can't move as the two bullets in my chest and stomach cause pain to radiate throughout my whole body, paralyzing me with pain.

"NO!" I hear Damon growl.

"Tell me who else there is Damon," I hear a female voice say.

I turn with tired eyes to see a blonde woman, the Sheriff, aiming a gun at me with Damon awake on the ground. Beside him is Stefan, bleeding and unconscious with several bullet wounds scattered across his body. My guess is the Sheriff went through him first, but Damon refused to answer. I fear I'll end up like Stefan, but deep down I know Damon won't let that happen; it will just risk the exposure of our friends- of Caroline.

"Tell me Damon," the Sheriff presses. When Damon refuses to answer, the Sheriff shoots another bullet into my body, this time in my calf. I cry out in pain again as the burning feeling increases, taking over my body. I start shaking, but try to hold it in for the sake of protecting our friends.

I glance at Damon whose eyes are wide with concern and guilt as the Sheriff shoots another bullet in Stefan, his limp body jumping from the impact.

"He's not going to tell us anything," the Sheriff says with a heavy sigh in defeat. "Kill them."

Her words ring through my mind, echoing as I process what this means; she's going to kill us. This is how I am going to die. I refuse to believe I escaped death twice now, only to be thrown right back into it's hands again; I need to find a way out.

Suddenly Elena runs into the cave, her breathing heavy and her heart beating fast.

"Elena, what are you doing here?" the Sheriff asks.

"You can't kill them, they're my friends," she pleads, locking eyes with a deadly still Stefan that lays face down on the floor.

"They're technically already dead, Elena, and they're deadly; all they do is kill," the Sheriff explains.

"You're wrong," Elena says just as someone comes speeding into the cave. Caroline appears from the shadows, blood dripping from her mouth presumably from the two officers she just killed. She slowly approaches her mother, revealing her true self.

"Oh my god." The sheriff gapes, putting a hand over her mouth.

"Mom?" Caroline croaks, her voice shaking as she scrambles to find the words to explain to her mother that she is okay. I feel sympathy for Caroline, as I had been in her shoes not too long ago with my father, who was disgusted by his own daughter.

"Sit, and stay there while I help my friends," Caroline orders her mother, who surprisingly obeys. She just stands there in utter shock, her hand loosening on the gun gripped between her fingers.

Caroline speeds over to me, panic in her voice. "Oh my god, tell me what to do," she says, seeing all the blood and bullets lodged into my flesh.

"Can you pick the bullets out of my leg please," I grunt. "I'll take the ones in my stomach."