ı 11 ı Friendly Gatherings

∞

"I had a feeling I belonged; had a feeling I could be someone" 

THE TEN-MINUTE  drive from the house to the grill took about half an hour, as we encountered some road blocks. Not real roadblocks, but rather squirrels that I refused to hit, and other cars and people that I wasn't allowed to hit. 

With my road rage and Damon's constant lessons, our car ride was quite entertaining and educational as I could practically drive better than half the people in Mystic Falls whose driving skills were getting on my nerves. 

"One thing you have to learn about driving is that you need a lot of patience." Damon lets out a stressful sigh, his cynical eyes watching my every move. 

"I think I've tolerated enough patience the last 145 years." I slip out, regretting my words immediately. Making references and jokes about the tomb has become second nature to me now, as comedy is a coping mechanism for me. 

"Don't talk like that," Damon scolds in a serious matter. 

I glance over at him, wincing slightly as I notice the hurt in his eyes. He gets like that every time I mention the tomb, as if he blames himself.  "Just keep driving. You're doing great," he says, his voice more quiet than it was before. 

We keep relatively silent for the rest of the ride, Damon speaking up once we pull into the Mystic Grill parking lot. "Park over there." He points to a clear row of empty spots in the back, free of any cars in sight. I perfectly pull up into the empty spot, fitting in the lines to earn Damon some peace of mind.

We enter the crowded grill, the overwhelming amount of people making me feel incredibly anxious. Unlike the fair which had everyone spread out, all the warm blooded bodies are now clustered in one closed space. I can hear everyone's conversations, hear people cheer glasses at the bar, but most distinctly I can hear the flickering of the firewood in the distance. 

My whole body begins to tremble as I start hear screams coming from no where, cries sounding from beside me as if someone is screaming in my ear. My ears fog out and my vision becomes scarce as flashes of the fire, Emily Bennett, my father and the tomb vampires flood into my mind, freezing me in place. I can't see anything in front of me as my mind is completely overwhelmed by the memories thrown at me all at once. 

I become so lost in my mind that I nearly jump out of my shoes as I feel a hand on my shoulder, a mumbling voice sounding although I cannot make out the words. All I can see are the vampires I knew, my friends as they scream in agony as we watched one another suffer, not realizing we wouldn't see the world again for 145 years. 

The hand on my shoulder squeezes harder, shaking me gently. I blink rapidly and shake my head as if shaking the memories away until my vision clears and my hearing returns. I stare into Damon's blue eyes which are full of confusion and concern.