ı 42 ı Temporary Goodbye

"I want you to move on, so I'm already gone"

JAMES POV

I don't hesitate as I run into Damon's room where he lays down with Elena by his side. Despite every muscle in my body that wants to go back to Blair, I know I have to do this for her and for Stefan.

The sight of him brings chills down my spine. His skin is a pale, pale colour, and he is sweating like it is the Sahara Desert in here. In other words, he doesn't look good, and I'm afraid if I didn't get here as quick as I did, he might not still be here.

As I enter the room both Elena and Damon turn to face me, confused as to why I out of all people am here.

I walk over to the bed where Damon lays and pass him the bottle. "Here. Drink it," I say passing it to him.

He takes it and hesitates. "What is it?" he croaks. His voice is extremely dry, and I can tell it takes every ounce of strength he has left to talk.

"It's the cure, courtesy of Klaus," I say bitterly. I know it's not his fault, but right now Blair and Stefan are at risk, trying to save his selfish ass. I know he's family to them, but to me Damon will always be known as the man who murdered my sister. I have learned to tolerate him for Blair, but I will never forgive him. Every time I look at him, I see the image of him stabbing Lexi in the heart with a wooden stake. That image is forever engraved in my mind.

Damon unscrews the cap of the glass bottle and presses it to his lips eagerly as if it were bourbon. In one gulp the blood is gone, flowing through his bloodstream.

He rolls up his sleeve and we all watch as the nasty bite heals in front of our eyes. It takes only a matter of seconds before the bite is completely healed, and the natural color returns to his skin.

"Oh my god. It's completely healed," Elena says smiling. She leans forwards and hugs Damon leaving me standing there awkwardly. She then gets up off the bed and embraces me in a giant hug. I stand there, not sure what to do or what to say. Elena and I have never really had an interaction like this before, or really acknowledged each other before. We've said hi here and there, and had a few conversations. I have helped in saving her life, but Blair was always in the back of my mind, and the real reason I was helping out. And then there was Stefan, my friend who was another reason I helped save Elena. He is my friend and I will do anything for him.

After a few seconds, I return the hug, and look up to see Damon mouth the words 'thank you'.

"Thank you so much James," she says into my shoulder. I release her from the hug.

"It's not me you should be thanking. Thank Stefan and Blair," I say, trying to control my tone.

"What?" Elena asks, confused.

"Where are they?" Damon asks, getting up. He gets up so fast and his skin color has completely changed. He looks as if nothing has happened.

"Klaus has them, along with Katherine, although I assume he's going to let her go, or she's probably already run away," I say.

"What about Stefan? Blair? Is he going to let them go?" Elena asks, concern on her face.

I shake my head. "The cure came with a cost, and he wants to use them for something. I don't know what, but he daggered Elijah. He can't help us now," I say.

Damon moves to take a step forwards towards the door, but I grab his arm before he can do anything stupid. "What do you think you're gonna do?" I ask.