ı 07 ı Unfamiliar Territory

∞

"Take me back to the feeling when everything was left to find"

• • • • •

I lay down in a field of daisies and long grass, staring at the sky.

The sun feels so warm against my skin, my black dress drawing in warmth under the hot afternoon heat.

After my mother's funeral I had run off not wanting to talk to anyone. I simply had nothing to say. To be honest, I'm getting tired of people comforting me, telling me how sorry they are for me. I don't want their grief. I just want to be alone.

I decided to run off to the field my mother and I spent our time on, having picnics with my brothers and me. It's almost natural that I came here to this field, as it is the only place that truly reminds me of my mother.

I jump at the sudden feeling of a hand on my shoulder, only to see my twin brother, Stefan standing beside me, a small bead of sweat above his brow as his black suit attracts even more sun.

He doesn't say anything. He just sits beside me watching the autumn leaves fall to the ground. This silence lasts for a few minutes as we both brood in our thoughts.

"Do you think mom is in a better place?" I ask, breaking the silence.

Ten year old Stefan looks over at me, a sad smile across his face.

"Yes. I do," he replies. 

"Do you think we'll see her again?"

"Someday." 

We just sit there, staring at the sunset. We don't want to say anything, and we don't have to.

We have each other.

• • • • •

I sit up abruptly, gasping as the dream slowly fades from my mind. It was more like a memory than a dream; a memory that is close to my heart. The day my mother died was perhaps the worst day of my life, even worse than the day I was put in the tomb. That by itself is saying a lot.

My attention is suddenly drawn to a repeating sound of machinery to my right, repeating the same sound.

Beep..... Beep.....Beep.....Beep.

I glance to my left to see some sort of machine making the annoying noise. I take a moment to look around, become aware of my surroundings. I glance down and tug at some strange sling wrapped around my arm, tied around my neck. I grip the soft cotton sheets of the bed I'm lying in, my eyes travelling to the pearl white walls that colour this enclosed room.