ı 15 ı The Damsel in Distress

"My past has tasted bitter for years now."

THE ONE THOUGHT that keeps speaking to me as I drive for eight hours straight is how much I have to go pee. It's only when the sun has finally risen in the sky that the black van I've been following decides to pull over.

I pull over from a distance, watching as the man from the van transfers Elena from one car to another. It perplexes me as to what these people would possibly want with Elena, kicking the detective in me to search for answers.

I jump suddenly at the sound of my phone ringing in the car, Stefan's name flashing across the screen. I guess me being gone all night is a cause of concern. "Detective Salvatore speaking, I'm in the middle of an important case, I'm going to have to call you back."

"Blair, where the hell are you?" Stefan asks, clearly not in the joking mood.

"Oh you know, out in the middle of no where chasing your girlfriend's kidnapper around."

"What?" he yells. I can hear Damon questioning his panic on the other side of the line.

"Elena was kidnapped last night, and I saw the person who took her so I kinda followed them. Now I'm out in the middle of no where and I've been driving all night, and I'm still in my dress!" I complain.

"And you didn't think to call either of us?" I can hear him scolding me.

I pause, realizing how dumb I really must seem in this new century. "No actually, it didn't occur to me to use my cellular device that I received not two days ago!"

He sighs heavily. "Where are you? Damon and I are coming."

"I'll text you the location," I say nervously, knowing I'll have to stress about actually using my phone.

"Okay. Don't get yourself into trouble, keep a safe distance okay? Just keep watching them," Stefan warns.

"Okay, I've got to go," I say as the black car begins to move. "I'll see you soon. You owe me big time Stefan."

"I know. See you soon."

∆ ∆ ∆

The car drives for a few more hours before stopping at an incredibly large mansion with a tremendously long driveway. I park on the road and decide to walk up the drive way so I'm not seen. I ditch my heels in the car and pull out my phone to update Stefan on my location. Caroline's sent me eleven messages, presumably about her missing car. I ignore her for now as I make it up to the house.

I climb in through a broken window in the back, careful not to be heard. Judging by how poorly maintained this house is from the long vines to rusty glass, I'd guess this house hasn't been lived in for decades.

Once inside I hear several voices, two female and one male.

"You're the key to breaking the curse. So, we're going to trade you to get us out of this mess. Trust me, you don't want to mess with the originals," one female says.

"What do you mean I'm the key? I thought the moonstone was." I recognize Elena's voice.

"No, the moonstone binds the curse, but a sacrificed has to be made, meaning all your blood, the blood of the Petrova Doppelganger must be sacrificed," says the female.

None of what they're talking about makes sense, but I defiantly do not like the whole sacfarice thing. I begin to tip-toe through the house and make my way to the front where their voices are most strong. I peak around the corner, taking in the large room they stand in. It looks like it's been built to hold a ball, with two large stair cases that branch down, the bright morning light shining through the grand windows to illuminate a tall man in a black suit walking down them.