ı 08 ı Familiar Faces

∞

"I may have lost my way now, I haven't forgotten my way home."

I STAND THERE, appalled that Caroline has the courage to escape my careful watch even when I specifically told her not to leave my sight. Now there's a new, blood thirsty vampire roaming the fair filled with people, all of whom make delicious snacks to a vampire who has no control. It's now my job to find this needle in the haystack before a blood bath erupts. If that happens, that's on me.

I frantically wander around the fair, scanning the heads of people to spot a blonde. I push past crowds, using my vampire hearing to listen for her distinctive voice. It's nearly impossible to pin point her location in a place this busy.

It's dawned on me that I've never been to a fair before. I only glance at all the games and rides around me as I search for Caroline, listening to all the conversations. I walk past a large spinning ride called a Ferris Wheel, listening to the cheers of laugher coming from the top as people view the fair from above. I stroll past game booths, overhearing the booming excitement as a little girl wins herself a stuffed bear. It all seems so fun, so relazxing as if there's no fear in their world.

I can only imagine what that feels like, to just live without fear. It feels like I'm always chasing after something, just running to survive, never getting a chance to live.

I shake the thought out of my head, knowing that if I don't find Caroline soon there is a chance people could get hurt. I can worry about relaxing later.

"Excuse me?" I hear a man's voice from behind me.

I turn around, raising my brow at a teenaged boy who has his eyes narrowed as he stares at me. I find his gaze rather uncomfortable, especially when his eyes glance down my body.

"Can I help you?" I question him, keeping my feet planted even though the closing space between us is becoming quite noticeable.

"I've just never seen you before." He smirks and licks his lips as if some sort of wild animal locking onto a prey. 

"And you'll never see me again," I say with compulsion before shoving my way past him. I walk alway rather irritated, releasing a sigh of frustration knowing I've been distracted by the problem at hand. That is until I catch a whiff of a rather pleasing scent; I could smell that scent anywhere. Suddenly the air around me is filled with nothing but the sweet aroma of blood.

I follow the smell like a hound dog tracking it's prey, following it as it becomes stronger and stronger. At a point it becomes too strong, and I feel the veins under my eyes to flash quickly. I don't know where the blood is, but I know there's a lot of it. I can't help but feel a ball of guilt form in my stomach knowing that this is probably because of Caroline and thus because of me.