Chapter Eight

I sighed and leaned my head against my closed front door. I had just told him Kevin and I weren't friends and he over-reacts? Well serves me right for ignoring him in the first place.

I turned around and saw Kevin drinking a clear liquid from the glass. He was avoiding eye contact with me, his body was turned and pressed against the counter.

I groaned and walked towards him. "I apologize for the abrupt scene." I told him, unsure of his reaction.

He nodded and quickly choked down the water until it was drained. "Thanks." He told me.

The faucet was dripping lightly, I imagined him serving himself sink water. It wasn't something I would dare do out of principal but I knew my house water was throughly filtered. Leaning awkwardly next to him I shut it off, turning the handle specifically to the right.

My breath was pushed out of me when I realized I was cornered against the wall. On either side were the granite countertops and the fridge. Blocking my exit was Kevin.

He looked down at me, the same expression from earlier. His eyes flickered from each part of my face. Before I knew it my cheeks were a bright shade of pink. My eyes were wide as I looked up at him, mostly startled and hopeful of what he might do.

That's when I  realized we haven't said anything.

His face leaned teasingly closer to mine, his nose almost brushed against my cheek. I closed my eyes waiting for a pressure. Any pressure.

But instead I heard a high pitched ring. When I opened my eyes he was looking down at me with confusion. My cheeks burned brighter with embarrassment. What was I thinking?

Instead of staying there, I pushed against his chest. I couldn't make him move by force but he was kind enough to follow my silent plea.

He clicked on the green button and answered his cellphone with a rather rude hello. I must have ruined his mood.

"Yes I know practice is still going on, I'm not stupid. I made the schedule." Kevin gritted his teeth.

I tilted my head with silent confused and when Kevin eventually glanced at me; which surprisingly wasn't long, he pulled the phone away from his mouth before silently mumbling the last name 'Anderson'.

I nodded and awkwardly stood there. My hands interlaced in front of my slim body. The more time passed the more awkward I felt. His voice began to get calmer as he talked to his friends, he never once mentioned me or where he was. He just said he had something to take care of. Maybe he was going to beat me up, like in grade school? I wasn't positive on that, Kevin's changed a lot since then.

The minutes pressed on and I couldn't stay there any longer, turning, I walked out of the kitchen. I immediately went for my house phone; which sat along side the couch. I heard Kevin following behind me a few minutes later but I paid him no mind.

Eddy's phone was written down next to it and I dialed the number several times. He always kept it with him, and on. So I knew he was ignoring me. I frowned and finally hung up the phone.

"Did you need anything Kevin?" I asked again. He seemed confused by my annoyed tone but otherwise shook it off.

"I guess not Dork." He sighed. I saw him take a step towards me before shaking his head. "Guess not." He repeated, once again. He turned and walked away. I wanted to know what he meant by that, but didn't have time to ask.

I answered the phone as it rang loudly, my attention turned back to Kevin but he was gone. I could feel my chest ache, though I wasn't entirely sure why.

My conversation with Eddy wouldn't have been categorized as a conversation. It was one sided, for the majority of the time.

He called Kevin many names; some ranged from Jock, to shovel chin, to others that were less than appropriate. Minutes passed and he, finally, was completely out of breath. It was then I explained what had happened. I told him something along the lines of Kevin needing something to drink.

Eddy seemed less inclined to come over, than before. It took several minutes of coaxing and excuses but he finally seemed willing.

I sighed and leaned back against my firm, yet comfortable, couch. My head and chest ached for different reasons. They both felt unusually warm.