Chapter Nine

In the few minutes before Eddy arrived I occupied myself with menial tasks. I rewashed the glass Kevin drank out of, and wiped the counter. I wasn't interested in my homework, which was something new, but interested or not I would complete it before I went to sleep that night.

Once I got comfortable with a cup of tea in hand the door bell rang. I made the beverage to calm down, but the liquid tasted far too bitter for my liking, sugar would make me bounce, so I had decided to feel comforted by the soft warmth it offered.

I invited Eddy inside and he immediately stepped through the threshold. I hadn't realized it had begun to rain, I wondered if Kevin was okay, but the moment lasted less than a heart beat before I had to stop myself.

"We're cool Sockhead." Eddy stated before I had an opportunity to greet the shorter boy.

I was about to apologize as well before I noticed how uncomfortable he seemed, it took a lot for him to say those words, a small awkward apology on his part, but nonetheless not unappreciated.

"Would you like something to drink Eddy?" I asked him, a quiet almost unnoticed peace offering. He didn't accept it.

We walked back into the living room. There wasn't much to do, and I knew he wouldn't want to discuss what had happened earlier without getting embarrassed he over reacted, he barely seemed to glance my way.

It was quiet for several minutes, Eddy reading a book I had stored on a nearby shelf. I wasn't familiar with the author, but I did know the concept, since I had purchased it not so long ago. It was a biography on a painting forger, he had released the book after many decades, when he couldn't be convicted for his crimes.

I took that time to start my less than interesting pages of homework. I had asked my teacher for extra credit assignments, although my average in the class was near a hundred percent, I didn't want to waste an opportunity to increase that.

I was on the last problem when my close friend spoke, I looked up to meet his gaze.

"Are you and Kevin not friends? Really?" I could understand his question, and his hesitation, but even now I didn't want to be Kevin's friend, I never had if I was being honest with myself. Not friends like Eddy or Ed. Not even like the other cul-de-sac kids, or my peers in class. When I thought of Kevin I thought of something equally less but so much more than I would like to admit.

I gave Eddy a comforting smile and answered honestly. "I don't believe that will ever happen."