Chapter Eighteen

A swift knock on the door brought me to my feet. A less than lengthy conversation with Ed on the phone made both of them show up. Eddy and I would never admit it, but Ed can put up a good guilt trip when he wanted too. I smiled at the thought.

I waved my parents off, telling them I'll get it, so I walked towards the door. I turned the handle and quickly opened it.

"Hey D." A smirk from a green haired boy bought a smile to my face. It wasn't hard when I was already in a good mood.

"Salutations." I gave him a half hearted wave, with him standing less than a foot in front of me it seemed silly.

"You didn't show up." His smile faltered, if only a bit.

"That is correct."

"Why didn't you?" Nate leaned heavily against the doorframe, looking cool and collected.

"My parents are home." He gave me a smirk before standing up straight, probably getting ready to leave.

"I'll see you later then?" He turned to go, but I reached out and lightly grabbed his sleeve. A strand of his green hair fell, curving against his forehead. He seemed more boyish now.

"I have a question." He waited patiently for me to continue, but I struggled with inner turmoil on whether or not I should ask. "How does Kevin feel about me?"

His curiosity turned straight into mocked innocence. "What? How should Kevin feel about you? I don't understand." He gave me a teasing smile, tilting his head inquisitively. I would have thought he was being honest had there not been a smirk lifting his cheeks.

After his question and feigned innocence I got the urge to hit him. I wouldn't, obviously, but I was severely getting impatient.

"Please..." I said, somewhat annoyed and yet, desperate.

He looked at me for a long moment then smiled. Not the smirk I was growing to hate, but a smile that seemed to light up his whole face.

"Can I take you out?" I felt my face burn.

"May I ask for you to rephrase your question?" It seemed like an obligation for us not to have any miscommunications.

"Can I take you out on a date?" He had a pleading expression now. I heard someone approaching behind me.

"I'll answer you tomorrow." Then I closed the door, but not before he gave me the most excited look. He looked like I already said yes.

~~~~~

"You owe me BIG." Eddy said. His eyebrows were pushed together in annoyance and frustration.

I ducked my head in shame. "I know." He must have seen how upset I was because he dropped the conversation.

Eddy, Ed and I went to the cafeteria together. We walked at our usual pace and headed to our usual table. When we approached, we noticed two people already sitting there; I was excited and terrified to find out it was Nate and Kevin.

Nate waved like a hopelessly devoted man, while Kevin was rigid, not quite meeting my gaze. Did I do something wrong? I remembered what my father had previously told me, along with Nate's question from yesterday. Was he.. jealous? I took a closer look at his face once I sat down that my thoughts of jealousy evaporated. His face was blank with nothing but annoyance.

I noticed Nate peering back and forth between Kevin and I, Eddy caught a portion of that, but Ed seemed more occupied with the color of Nate's hair than anything.

"Okay, why the hell are you guys sitting here?" Eddy finally snapped, it had taken a while so I wasn't quite upset about it. I almost expected it, actually. Kevin glared at him, but said nothing.

Ed was seated besides Kevin, with Eddy next to Nate. I was forced to sit in the last available seat, between both Nate and Kevin.

The green haired boy winked at Eddy, making him more flustered with surprise. "I'm new to the school and wanted to get to know everyone." He said easily, grabbing my hand under the table.

I didn't want to hurt his feelings, but the sudden action made me jump, pulling my palm away from his. When I looked at him he gave me puppy dog eyes, then tried again. I allowed it this time, since I didn't want to bring more attention to his actions than I already did.

I noticed Kevin tense beside me and my mind immediately went back to him being jealous. I forced myself to concentrate at the topic at hand.

Eddy didn't seem to believe him, but he smiled coyly. "Well I'm Eddy and this is Ed." He pat Ed's shoulder. "That's Double D." He already knew I had met them both, but I didn't say anything to upset anyone.

"Nice to meet you guys." Everything went and sounded smooth, but there was undeniable tension at the table. It was almost thick enough to cut with a knife.