Chapter Nineteen

"I'm hungry Eddy." Ed said, wiping his nose with his sleeve like a two year old. I'm long past finding that gross.

"Then go get lunch." Eddy motioned behind himself to the lines, but Ed didn't move.

"Planks staring at me Eddy." He said in a low tone, like it would make a difference to what he was saying. Eddy turned around, Johnny, Nazz and Ralf were indeed standing in line. Johnny held Plank in his hand.

"Fine." Eddy stood up, revealing his short stature, but of course we already knew that. "I'll be right back, Sockhead." He gave me that nickname when we were younger, but of course, I never wore a sock on my head.

Eddy began to walk away with the occasional glance backwards and I pulled my hand from Nate's. "If you plan on doing that again, please sanitize your skin before hand." I said, quite seriously.

Nate looked beautifully confused, while Kevin softly laughed under his breath. "Is he always like that?" Nate said, sounding transparently offended. He talked to Kevin like I wasn't even there.

"Duh. He's a smart, clean freak." Somehow Kevin's words hurt. I wasn't sure if I was suppose to be insulted, but nonetheless, there was a slight pain over my chest. When I looked up at the ginger haired jock his eyes widened.

"Shit." Was all he said. I watched as Eddy walked with Ed back to the table.

"Language." Was my only response.

When I glanced back to him, I saw a faint blush covering his cheeks. Despite the fading pain in my chest I smiled, if just a bit.

"Just sit, Ed." Eddy seemed annoyed with something. He preened his favorite bowling shirt as he listened to his own request, along with a sulking, but hungry, Ed.

"Why don't you get lunch Double D?" Ed asked with his grin full of food. He had an innocent look on his face.

"Chew with your mouth closed, Ed." He pouted, but listened. I reached into my bag and pulled out my already packed lunch. Ed's eyes lit up with excitement at my brown paper bag. I usually got lunch along with them, but with my parents home they packed my meals.

I emptied out the contents and spotted a pudding cup. It was chocolate and while I enjoyed an occasional dessert, I knew Ed would enjoy it more. I tossed it to him and he easily caught it.

"You should join the team Ed." Nate smirked, leaning forward in his seat. His hands were laying without a want or need on the table.

"Team?" Ed was struggling to open the small container. Seconds passed before he just dropped it into his mouth. He bit at the container and I suppose it exploded in his mouth. Ed smiled, chocolate dripped from his cheek, he pulled the wrapper from his mouth, tossing it into a trash can some distance away.

Kevin made an unattractive sound in his throat, at the dissatisfaction he felt about Nate's opinion. At least, I'm pretty sure that's why. Nate reached in front, just past me, discreetly and lightly punching Kevin in the gut.

"The football team." Nate smiled, his eyes watched Ed's every movement. He didn't seem grossed out. He had the same expression Eddy got when he was within reach of something he wanted.

"We need a linebacker or even a wide-receiver." I didn't understand those terms, but I was fairly sure a Linebacker was a defensive player.  

Ed looked at Eddy hopefully. "It's a game Eddy." He smiled proudly at the invitation.

Eddy frowned. "We got things to do Ed." Ed looked heartbroken. "Remember, Edd ditched us?" Eddy indiscreetly gave me an annoyed expression, though there was understanding beneath his frown and eyes.

"So your parents are back?" It was Kevin that asked for confirmation. I thought Nate would have told him, but he seemed to receive this as new information. When I glanced at Nate he had an amused smirk.

"Yes, they returned last Friday." It was Monday today and quite honestly, I was happy being able to stay home and keep out of my already arranged plans.

Kevin glared at Nate, but his eyes softened when they met my own, though most of his expression didn't change.

"But Eddy I wanna join~.." Ed held out the vowel for far too long. I could feel my friend staring instead of answering Ed.

"How're they?" Kevin prompted, I would have assumed he'd drop the conversation, but he seemed curious.

"They're well, my mothers contracted something, but she's been fairly well too." I smiled sincerely at the thought of them. I could feel the entire table looking at us now.

"That's good. My parents always complain about not having another power couple around. They're probably going to jump at your front steps when they hear about it." Kevin smirked, possibly at the thought of his own parents. The slight red to his face returned, but it was nearly transparent and unnoticeable.

I nodded, agreeing. Kevin and I were never considered friends, but I knew enough about him to carry on a conversation.

I saw him as often as Eddy when I was younger. The only difference was he wanted to impress strangers while I wanted friends. After a few months of this, Nazz moved into the neighborhood.

Our parents spent many hours together, either at his house or my own. Neither of us had a phone, so we resulted to talking about nothing or listening in to our parents conversations. We were in elementary school. Then my parents left and my priorities shifted.

"You should probably just let him join, Eddy." Nate said without a care in the world, though his body was fractionally tense.

I couldn't help but look up at Kevin. His chin was broad, his eyes almost dream worthy. No wonder every girl in school wanted to date him. Only, he was looking back at me. He seemed vulnerable, like an open book. When he looked away everything was blank once more.

I'm so proud of myself right now. It's not the longest chapter or the best, but I finally wrote my plans onto paper cx

Want more of anything in this story?