Chapter Twenty Two

"Double D!" A voiced called for me. When I turned around a familiar face shined with an almost pretty glow.

It was after school. The bell that dismissed us rang quite a while ago. I missed my bus, but instead of calling my parents, I began walking home. It was a habit whenever I didn't make it to public transportation on time.

"Greetings, Marie." Her hair was still the same vivid shade of blue as always, but her makeup gave her pale skin a slight glow. She looked healthier, thank goodness.

"I'm sorry for.. what happened.. you know?" For a moment, I didn't know. Her words didn't make sense to me. Blurry memories seemed to soften until I could only faintly recall bits and pieces.

"It's quite alright." I smiled, her eyes flickered to my lips and I could feel a blush stain my skin.

"Well, I was wondering if you wanted to see a documentary this weekend?" I was about to immediately decline, but the word documentary caught my attention. Her eyes held amusement. "It's about how the state of our planet could benefit from precautionary measures taken to reduce global warming." Each word fell off her tongue fluently, almost rehearsed, like she practiced this moment in front of her mirror.

Every part of me wanted to say no, that I couldn't. That I had something else planned, but I didn't think I did. And despite not wanting to give her the wrong impression, a film sounded nice. Spending time with someone that wasn't Ed, Eddy or Kevin sounded nice. My head already ached from the incident at lunch.

"That sounds lovely, thank you for inviting me." My words were oddly formal, but she took it in stride. Her smile lit up her face, I could easily see how someone could see her as beautiful. She was, but so was Nazz and Kevin.

Beauty doesn't qualify you being better than anyone else, it doesn't immediately mean gaining interest from someone based on your appearance. Intelligence and compassion does. The way you treat someone and your relationships with others do, and yet, I still find myself interested in the beautiful and selfish Kevin.

I could almost see her mind racing with different things to say, she wasn't very good with words, actions were her strong suit, while mine was the opposite. "I'll pay for the tickets, since we're watching something you possibly won't enjoy. You can get anything extra?" I offered; I've never been on a date and I wasn't sure if this qualified as one. I certainly hope not.

"Sounds amazing!" She sounded far too excited. She ran her fingers through her fairly short blue hair. "Should I walk you home?" She seemed unsure and I couldn't blame her, we've never been in this position before. I shrugged and continued to walk. It wasn't me trying to be rude, per say, it was more that I wasn't sure if she wanted too.

Marie, just followed after. "So, what's with you and that Kevin character?" That made me stop my stride. My eyes widened in fear. "Don't act so surprised, Nazz told me." Nazz? What've they been doing together. My palms began to sweat. She didn't seem to notice and continued walking. I took fairly deep breaths, following after.

"I.. I don't know." That was the truth. I was far from saying that we had 'anything' going on. Marie gave me a sad smile.

"We have a theory."

Kevin's Point of View (I'm sorry, this isn't going to be often)

"Yo! Dude?!" Nate's voice got my attention. He was laying back comfortably on two seats, the selfish prick. Meanwhile I was sitting next to Eddy, the last available seat on the bus.

"What?" I was more than a little agitated, but I managed to keep my voice down.

"You going immediately over to his house when you get off?" I wasn't sure what he was trying to prove from getting everyone on the bus involved in my business, but he was being loud as fuck. I gave him a swift nod, trying to cut the conversation short. I could feel Eddy glare into me, but I didn't let that bother me.

"Hey Kevin?" The voice was recognizable, but far from familiar.

"What's up, dork?" The nickname wasn't by any means insulting, at least it didn't sound that way.

"Thanks for sitting with us during lunch." Ed said, which surprised the hell out of me. I didn't realize that he cared at all. Some kids looked over at us curiously, so I replied the only way I could.

"Can it! I didn't do it because I wanted too." It didn't lessen the smile on his face, it was like he knew I was happy from his words, that or he's really stupid. Eddy was a different story, but while he got his first word out I cut him off. "Say anything and I'll give Nazz the 'diary' I took from you." That shut him up. I wasn't sure if it was actually a diary, but I didn't care. As long as I needed too, I'll keep it from him.

The inner struggle in Eddy was blatantly obvious. Short stuff was visibly shaking. "I don't give a flying shit! Give it to her, but don't disrespect my friend like that!" His voice raised. If it wasn't for the bus squeaking to a stop at our corner, I would have responded. Only a few people heard the outburst anyways.

The entire thing made me hate and respect him.

A/N: I finally made a good enough transition. The next chapter I was going to use had a pretty big time skip that I wasn't fond of.