Chapter Fifteen

The day of the Football game finally arrived.

My headache was gone the next morning and that fact seemed to brighten everything I had imagined gloomy.

Class was a little less capturing, but easy nonetheless. I smiled to myself as the teacher continued to speak. I took notes, a contingency in case someone asked to borrow them. I never used them anyways. Memorizing was almost second nature to me.

Once the bell rang, signaling the end of the day, I heard an all too familiar voice behind me.

"Hey!" Someone shouted. Not quite loudly,  but enough to make me turn where I stood.

It was the football player. I didn't remember his first name, but I'm fairly sure Anderson was his last. He gave me a smirk before slowing his pace, eventually stopping in front of me. Was he the one that stole my belongings? I wasn't sure.

"Nate wanted me to tell you that he wants to talk to you after game." His voice came out normal and clear, as though he hadn't run across the school, which was visible from his group of friends waving for him to come back.

"May I ask why?" I replied as he turned. He gave me an odd expression.

"Didn't you tell him you'd hang out with him and Kevin?" His voice started to irritate me, which was odd given how deep and soothing it was.

I frowned when I realized he was right. I did tell him. I remembered my scheduled plans with Eddy and my head began to ache. "Well, that's wonderful." I said, mostly to myself.

"Glad you think so.." He paused. "It's James by the way." I assumed he meant his name, but I wasn't sure if he was being serious or not. I hoped he was and nodded my appreciation.

"Thank you, James." He gave me a patronizing look, something I hadn't gotten in a while, then took off, running back to his friends; which didn't seem to take long at all as he arrived two minutes later, but I wasn't counting.

I continued my walk, nothing had changed but the drum of pain hitting the side of my head.

~~~

The walk was uneventful, as was my house. I unlocked the door and closed it behind myself. The lights were on as I walked through, that fact made my heartbeat hazardously in my chest. I crept through, reaching the house phone when I heard possibly the most delightful sound I have in a while. It was near silk, while the second voice was quite the opposite; an upset tone covered any words that escaped. I turned around the see my parents.

My mother looked as she always had. Though her skin seemed more elegant and aged. Her hair was the same black shade, along with my father's. Her eyes a brown color while my dad, blue. They both peered at me expectantly, waiting for a response, but I couldn't give them one. At least, not immediately.

I placed my bag down carefully and walked towards my mother. I was never one for hugs, but with her I always made an exception. I wrapped my arms around her waist, my thoughts went to why they returned, positive or negative, I didn't care. I was just glad to see them.

I hadn't let go of my mother when another set of arms wrapped around us. It was my father. He didn't say anything and patted my back when he pulled away.

"I hope you don't mind, I cleaned up around the house. It was filthy." His words cracked my resolve. I resisted the urge to get upset when his laughter filled the room. "Same predictable Edd. Glad to see you didn't change." His words softened me, though not entirely. I wouldn't have to be predicted had they visited more often, or stayed as I would have preferred. I wouldn't dare tell them this. I didn't want to take the chance of getting them upset and having them leave me entirely.

"How're your grades?" My mother questioned, running her fingers under my hat. She was the only one I would ever let do that. Especially after the accident, it helped calm me down.

"My grade in math is slipping, along with Science." I immediately responded, then regret clouded by face as I realized what I had done. I didn't want them to be disappointed in me.

"So straight A's?" She asked with a knowing smile.

I nodded. They were still A's, if you considered a 98% and 99% in math and science acceptable. It wouldn't have gone that far down, had there not been someone to distract me.

She lightly touched my nose. "We're proud."

My headache vanished. The soft caring look on her face made any stress or pain disappear.