Chapter Five

Never in my life have I ever wanted the bell to ring so badly. The metal hands swung and ticked so slowly I was close to my breaking point.

Walking in later than usual meant my seat was taken by the new boy Nate; as he politely announced, despite the teacher not asking. His build was much like Kevin's, but his hair was a pitch black and would have been very attractive with his pale skin had there not been streaks of green dyed at the tips.

He was sure of himself. Confident much like Kevin, he wore the Jersey of his old school and according to the insignia he was on the football team. And apparently Quarterback in his time.
When I walked in everyone ignored me, except him. His eyes watched my cautious movements. They raked over my person, and as my eyes met his he smiled.

I didn't. He was in my seat after all and that meant I needed to sit in the back with the other jocks.

Great.

"Nate." He told me as I walked down the aisle. His hand reached out and took mine, despite me not having a chance to offer.  His hand was warm and I was surprised by the intensity of his stare. The touching would have bothered me more than it should have if he had not been so polite. His smile made a familiar redness tint my cheeks. He gave me an easy handshake.

"My friends usually call me Double D." I informed him.

His eyes narrowed slightly before he came to a realization of sorts.

He chuckled. "I thought you were teasing me for a second there." He released my hand and sat back in his seat as he was sitting before. Confusion was written clearly on my face but he didn't acknowledge it.

"I'll see you around." He murmured, his eyes finally letting me breathe.

The rest of the short walk to the empty seat was uneventful, besides the unusual glare Kevin sent my way, I was left alone.

Some people seemed surprised by the minute long conversation that I had with Nate but I didn't think anything of it. It was more confusing than anything else.

So I sat in my seat as the teacher reviewed the material, for the forth time, might I add, for the students that haven't been paying attention throughout the week.

I tapped the tip of my pencil on the edge of my desk in a steady rhythm. A folded piece of paper dropped onto the surface. The top of it read letters that spelled the word 'Dork'. The handwriting was unfamiliar but I could guess who it belonged too. Opening the paper I saw something I recognized.

My math homework.

When I glanced over at Kevin I saw him finishing the last problem on his own sheet as the teacher announced she would grade it. I hadn't realized I was staring at him until he looked over. He gave me a transparent smile before he turned to his friends. I wasn't sure if I had imagined it or not.

Erasing his message, I massaged the paper until it was as flat as I could manage. When the teacher came by she glanced at me, than immediately placed a legible 100 on the top in red ink. I wasn't surprised she hadn't looked at the paper. I was the kind of person that did there homework every night without fail. Nothing could change that.

She did however check Kevin's. Her eyes scanned each question but he didn't seem to noticed her. They talked about the next football game, catching Nate's attention.

Without permission Nate turned in his seat. The classroom wasn't big. It was four rows and six columns, and he was sitting two seats in front of Kevin. The seat directly behind him was empty.

I could have sat there but I would have rather taken my chances in the other side of the class. I couldn't trust myself to keep my mouth shut around him.