Chapter 5: Tumbling

"Hey." Daryl said with a smirk on his face.

"What." I said.

"So, you and Carl."

"Don't say anything, Daryl. I really like him, and I don't know how his dad will react."

"Don't worry, I won't tell. But one thing I have to ask." He said.

"Yeah?"

"Aren't you worries about getting pregnant?" He said.

"Daryl trust me, I'm old enough to know that I don't want a baby, and I always make him pull out before anything happens." I said placing a hand on his sleeveless shoulder.

"It only takes one time for him not to listen. You know that right." He said. He left leaving his words in my brain. What if Carl really doesn't listen one time, and I end up getting pregnant. What if he decides one day he doesn't want to pull out. I'll end up having a baby. I don't want that.

I walked back to the prison running into Beth.

"Hey." I said.

"Oh hey, did you sleep well." She smiled.

"Yeah, thanks." I said.

"I'm about to go plant some carrots, wanna join?" She smiled.

"Uh, sure I don't have anything else to do." I shrugged.

_________________________

"So do you got the hang of it now?" Beth said.

"Uh, yeah sure."

"You have no idea what you're doing, do you?" She said.

"No." We laughed.

"I'm not much of a green thumb." I said.

"Well that's okay, I'm not much of a shooter." She said.

"Beth, you do know one day you're going to have to shoot something."

"Not if we're safe. I won't have to do anything, this place is safe, no one needs to kill anything or anyone."

"You really believe that?" I said.

"You don't?"

"Well, no. This world, it isn't safe anymore. Nothing is safe. You always have to kill something in order to protect your family. What if Maggie is in danger, or your dad, or anyone else in this group. You're gonna have to pull the trigger."

She looked away, and I did too.

"I'm gonna go back up." She said grabbing her basket.

"Ok." I said. I got up dusting off the dirt from my knees. I walked up the dirt and gravel road to the prison and found Rick.

"I'm gonna go out in the woods and scavenge some berries or whatever. I feel like we could use em right now." I said scratching my neck hoping he'd let me go.

"You really think that's safe?" He said sternly.

"I'm safe. I'm careful, you know I am." I said.

"Just be careful okay." He said placing a hand on my shoulder. I grinned and nodded. The only weapons I had was a pistol and my knife but what more could I need.

There was literally nothing but blackberries in the woods and I was out looking for like half an hour. I decided to turn back when I heard branches breaking. I looked around hoping not to find a walker. A hand pulled me back to the ground and a grin appeared on Carl's face.

"You scared the shit out of me!" I said hitting his arms.

"Sorry. Just couldn't help myself." He said kissing me. He started to take his shirt off but I stopped him.